Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thousands separator rejected

I have Numbers 3.6 running on a Mac Powerbook. Is there a way to get number cells to accepted a pasted value that contains a thousands separator (a comma, e.g., cut and pasting from an online financial statement). It's daft and also frustrating to have to remove it, to avoid the red triangle format error, when the cell is already set to display it again!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on May 4, 2016 6:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2016 8:52 AM

I can copy and paste (e.g. $23,500.00) from the following sources, and simply paste the value into a Numbers v3.6.1 cell with cell format set to automatic. The original formatting is retained.

1. A table cell from Pages v5.6.1

Formatted to Currency, 2 decimals, and thousands separator

2. A table cell from LibreOffice v5.1.2.2 Calc

3. Document text from Pages v5.6.1

$23,500.00

4. Document text from LibreOffice v5.1.2.2 Writer
    1. $23,500.00<tab>43,250.33<tab>50,000.00
    2. Values past in three adjacent cells, but only the first value retains its currency symbol. Other values retain thousands separator, and decimals, but cell format for each value is Automatic, not Currency.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2016 8:52 AM in response to AndyKnott009

I can copy and paste (e.g. $23,500.00) from the following sources, and simply paste the value into a Numbers v3.6.1 cell with cell format set to automatic. The original formatting is retained.

1. A table cell from Pages v5.6.1

2. A table cell from LibreOffice v5.1.2.2 Calc

3. Document text from Pages v5.6.1

$23,500.00

4. Document text from LibreOffice v5.1.2.2 Writer
    1. $23,500.00<tab>43,250.33<tab>50,000.00
    2. Values past in three adjacent cells, but only the first value retains its currency symbol. Other values retain thousands separator, and decimals, but cell format for each value is Automatic, not Currency.

May 4, 2016 8:52 AM in response to AndyKnott009

Hi Andy,

If the online table is well-formed then you should be able to select the portion you want, command-c to copy, click once in the cell of an existing Numbers table, and command-v to paste. Command-v usually retains the appearance of the online table. Edit > Paste and Match Style will usually succeed in pasting the values while keeping any formats you have already set in the Numbers table.

You might want to double-check that your settings at System Preferences > Language & Region are using the same thousands separator as is displayed in the online table you are trying to import.

User uploaded file

SG

May 4, 2016 8:51 AM in response to SGIII

Thanks to SGIII and other responders. I realise that a workaround I developed ages ago is causing me this problem, before I discovered the keyboard shortcut for paste and match style. To keep the same formatting, I would use '=' and then paste. For some reason this generates a syntax error when there is a thousands separator, but not otherwise. I shall have to break this habit, and use paste-and-match-style from now on, which does work either way.

Thanks!

Thousands separator rejected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.