Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I invert the Y axis to have the lowest number at the top?

Hello, I'm making a study about a river's water level and I need to invert the values of the Y axis. It's very easy to do it with Microsoft Office Exel but I don't know how to do it with Number.

I have Numbers 3.6.1

Posted on May 4, 2016 6:54 AM

3 replies

May 4, 2016 10:51 PM in response to JFiP

Hi J',

I'm having some difficulty visualizing the data and the chart it is to create. In my mind, the data points should rise on the chart to indicate a rise in the level of the river surface level (or of the flow volume).

Perhaps a sample of the data would make the request more clear.

Regards,

Barry

May 5, 2016 6:37 AM in response to JFiP

I suggest creating a chart and hiding the actual Y axis values and make your own axis labels with a separate table (it's a work around since Numbers does not do what you want natively).

I searched for example of river level charts and could not find any examples, so, I, too, am not sure what you want to show. IF you have an example, that would be very helpful to see.

May 7, 2016 6:48 AM in response to Wayne Contello

I searched and found quite a few images of depths where the y-axis is reversed. In Excel reversing takes a click of a checkbox, like this:

User uploaded file

I think in Numbers you would have to add a column in the data that reverses the sign of the depth values, and chart that.

User uploaded file

Then cover the axes in the chart with text boxes with a solid fill.

SG

How can I invert the Y axis to have the lowest number at the top?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.