Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the best tuneup software for a iMAC?

I have seen many different tuneup packages for iMAC but all the reviews seam to be written by the company selling them. Dose anyone have real experience with these packages that can tell me how I can speedup my Mac and get rid of unwanted cash and system files? not to forget unwanted Application residue from old apps or software.

thanks

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 4, 2016 6:27 AM

2 replies

May 4, 2016 10:48 AM in response to MJD911

... Dose anyone have real experience with these packages that can tell me how I can speedup my Mac and get rid of unwanted cash and system files?

Yes. I have personally evaluated most popular examples of those products. They are scams.

Excerpted from Effective defenses against malware and other threats:

Never install any product that claims to "clean up", "speed up", "optimize", "boost" or "accelerate" your Mac; to "wash" it, "tune" it, or to make it "shiny". Those claims are absurd.

• Such products are very aggressively marketed. They are all scams.
  • They generally operate on the flawed premise that a Mac accumulates "junk" that needs to be routinely "cleaned out" for optimum performance.
  • Trial versions of those programs are successful because they provide the instant gratification of greater free disk space.
  • That increased space is the result of irreversible destruction of files, programs, or operating system components normally protected from inadvertent alteration or deletion. The eventual result will be unreliable operation, poor performance and random crashes that may not become evident for months or even years after their use, when updates to programs or OS X are eventually released.
  • Memory "cleaners" that circumvent OS X's memory management algorithms work by purging inactive memory contents to mass storage, which can only result in degraded performance and accelerated hardware failure.

What is the best tuneup software for a iMAC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.