Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why cant I update?

After I upgraded to Yosemite (although I am on el capitan now) Garageband Didn't want to update like my other apps (iMovie, pages, etc..) My garageband was the preinstalled version but it says I have to purchase it again and when I update it says it wasn't purchased with this apple id? The icon also wouldn't change User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), Cracked Screen, DVD Drive, 2011

Posted on May 4, 2016 7:07 AM

5 replies

May 4, 2016 8:14 AM in response to Hakudoshi

Is that what you are seeing in the "Updates" tab?

User uploaded file

That is an older version of GarageBand, version 6.0.5 or earlier from the iLife '11 bundle. 6.0.5 is the last GarageBand '11 version. This update is most of the time not available, because the current GarageBand version is GarageBand 10.1.2.

With El Capitan you should be using GarageBand 10.1.2. If your current version is GarageBand 6.0.5, no problem, you can run it on El Capitan. To upgrade to GarageBand 10.1.2. you cannot use the updates tab, it requires a purchase, because it is a new major release.

if you upgrade to version 10.1.2. keep version 6.0.5 installed as well. GarageBand 10.1.2.can use the sounds and loops from version 6.0.5 and you may want to be able to use the sound effects instruments and the podcast feature of version 6.0.5.

May 4, 2016 8:36 AM in response to Hakudoshi

Thanks. Yes,that was what I was seeing.

Then check the installed version of your GarageBand in the Applications folder. If it is GarageBand 6.0.5, which has been released in March 2012, you are running the the most current version of GarageBand '11, and no updates are available. If it is older than 6.0.5, try the updater from this page: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1507?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

why cant I update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.