Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music and playlists suddenly gone?

Hello, I opened up my iTunes this morning and found that i only have approx. 100 songs of my 80GB of music. The songs that do appear in my library seem to be in the cloud as there is a cloud download symbol next to them. If I click on "Get Info" for the song, no location displays. I opened iTunes preferences and check the location of my music and it is correct....All of my music is in that location, the files are still on my computer just not in iTunes. Additionally, all of my playlists are gone too. Help!!!

MacBookPro, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on May 4, 2016 7:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2016 7:15 AM

Preferences does not tell iTunes where to look for media, it only tell iTunes where to store media added from that point on.

Start iTunes while holding down the option/alt key and select the iTunes Library.itl file in the iTunes folder (presuming you use default settings). iTunes does not normally lose this location unless you are using a library on a different drive but since you did not mention that at the start I have to presume you are using default configuration.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2016 7:15 AM in response to kbehnke

Preferences does not tell iTunes where to look for media, it only tell iTunes where to store media added from that point on.

Start iTunes while holding down the option/alt key and select the iTunes Library.itl file in the iTunes folder (presuming you use default settings). iTunes does not normally lose this location unless you are using a library on a different drive but since you did not mention that at the start I have to presume you are using default configuration.

May 4, 2016 9:09 AM in response to kbehnke

Okay, you will have to do some work by learning how iTunes works so you can troubleshoot.

iTunes uses the iTunes Library.itl to set up a database of track information and file locations. iTunes does not directly inventory the files except when you first add them and if/when you later delete them. The only common way for iTunes to lose track of this database is if you keep your iTunes folder on an external drive and start iTunes while the drive is not active/awake. If this happens just once iTunes will automatically make a blank library in the default location (inside Music > iTunes) on your internal drive. You make no mention either way about an external drive so the only other thing is if your drive is undergoing directory corruption and forgets that the .itl even exists at all. Again your computer does not directly see files, it works through a catalog which tells the computer when you call up file xyz to go and retrieve the data bits stored at location abc on the computer. Frankly I haven't seen anybody complain about true directory corruption in a long time. I suspect there is something about your library configuration which means there is an obvious solution to this, I am just not asking the right, "Oh yes, that's right I do keep things that way," questions yet.

Music and playlists suddenly gone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.