Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does my iphone lose battery power so rapidly

I have an iphone 5s. 32gig memory. Software ver. 9.3.1. I start at 100% around 8am. With, maybe two short phone calls of use, the battery will drain by 4pm. I've read all about what apps drain the battey and have shut them down. I bought a battery case for the phone because I have to start recharging every afternoon. I read about folks whose battery lasts for more than a day. Any help appreciated.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.1

Posted on May 4, 2016 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2016 8:40 AM

could be apps which are using the gps in the background or data connection

check settings->privacy->location services

it could also be your battery dieing sooner or later all batteries die they become worse and worse and worse until they stop working

it's like that with all rechargeable batteries .

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2016 8:40 AM in response to gail19970

could be apps which are using the gps in the background or data connection

check settings->privacy->location services

it could also be your battery dieing sooner or later all batteries die they become worse and worse and worse until they stop working

it's like that with all rechargeable batteries .

May 4, 2016 8:38 AM in response to gail19970

Load the app "Battery Life" from the app store and launch it. The first screen will tell you whether the battery is "worn" or not (can it achieve full charge?). Slide over to the third screen of information to see how many charge cycles the battery has and whether or not the full capacity of the battery can be achieved. Once you get past a couple hundred charge cycles, the battery life will start to decrease.

NOTE: Battery Life does NOTHING to "improve" or extend your battery life - it reads information from the chip on the battery to help you understand how healthy the battery is in the first place. If you're working with a battery that is worn, and you load up a new iOS version that relies more heavily on processing (and needs more battery), it's going to wear down more quickly. It's important to understand whether or not the battery itself is the heart of the issue.

May 7, 2016 1:33 PM in response to gail19970

That's a fair amount of charge cycles, but the wear level indicates that the battery is still able to take "most" of its original charge capacity - that's good.

It also essentially means that there's a process on your phone that's wearing the battery down prematurely.

Have you looked through the list of applications under Settings -> Battery to see what the phone shows you as consuming the most battery? What is your screen brightness at and are you using the auto brightness control? What apps are left "in the background" that could possibly be eating up battery from Location Services use? Do you have Facebook running in the background (that's a common one to eat up more battery AND data than expected)?

why does my iphone lose battery power so rapidly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.