Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installed 32gb RAM but only 16gb usable

I have a 27" iMac, late 2013 model. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit on it via BootCamp.

I ordered (4) 8GB RAM from Crucial.com and installed them myself.

Now iMac says that it sees the 32GB but only 16GB is usable. I've already confirmed on the Apple Support site that this computer can in fact be upgraded to 32GB. What am I doing wrong or haven't done yet??

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), Windows 7, Home Premium

Posted on May 4, 2016 7:17 AM

6 replies

May 4, 2016 9:52 AM in response to dialabrain

Bingo!! Thank you 'dialabrain'. I was shocked to see that when I flipped back over to iOs, that the computer recognized the full 32gb. I did the upgrade from Yosemite to El Capitain just in case (hoping) that was the issue, but when I returned to Windows 7, it still only recognized the 16gb. Read the article you posted and yep ... that's the problem. (Home version can only recognize 16gb, where Pro can go much higher).Actually got the Home version by mistake in the first place, so double darn. NOW I've got to decide whether I want to upgrade away from Windows 7. Do you know if 10 has ironed out it's problems yet? I really dread the thought. May just get 7 Pro.

May 4, 2016 10:03 AM in response to Newyawksue

You're welcome. I have a Windows 10 machine and I don't really have any problems but I don't do all that much with it so I can't say. One thing is of course eventually Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 7 at some point and Windows 10 will no doubt be around for awhile. But you need to make sure whatever Windows software you want to run works with 10.

Installed 32gb RAM but only 16gb usable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.