Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Did I Buy This?

After using Windows all my life I decided that I needed to make the switch and finally get a Mac computer. I am a web developer and designer and everyone in the business uses Apple products. There are several apps that I was looking forward to using and also the simplicity of a linux architecture to work with. So I decided to go big and get an 27" iMac and a Macbook Pro. This was a small fortune, but I thought that I would use them a lot. My iMac has been a nice little work horse even though right after purchasing Apple came out with the 5k screens. I am really disappointed in the Macbook Pro though, I wish I never bought it.

1. Base Models Shouldn't Be Sold - I bought a base model thinking that an investment of over $1,200 would get me everything I needed. I was wrong.

2. Memory is way too low - My macbook only came with 4gb of memory. Thinking that it would be enough at the time turned out to be a huge mistake. Try opening Photoshop and a browser and it crashes a slow death.

3. Not upgradable - Apple solders pretty much everything to the motherboard now. I cannot upgrade memory, HDD or anything.

4. Processor is overpriced - Previously I had bought an HP laptop that came with an i7 processor that wasn't near as expensive as this i5. Want to upgrade to i7? Fork out a lot more cash.

5. Graphics suck - Intel Iris? Try to run anything graphic intensive and watch it sputter and skip along. Want a Radeon card? Double the price you're wanting to pay.

6. Warranty is laughable - 90 days and a year? I just bought the Cadillac of computers and I get 90 days and a year? PC manufactures are offering 3 years in some cases.

7. Limited Ports - Each product that gets rolled out has less and less ports. Get ready to buy a dongle for everything.

8. Price Gauging? - In the end you really have to question what costs so much? It's made in China like every other system. The same Intel hardware is significantly overpriced and memory is 10x over priced. The OS? Nah, it's just Linux closed up real nice and tight. Design? Maybe it is cool to look at. I guess.

BONUS - Apple Monitors - Say you sacked over a fortune for a Mac Pro and you wanted a Mac monitor, well guess what? Their Thunderbolt monitor is 5 years old. No 5k. Nothing. I bought one at work thinking their displays are what they are known for. It is complete garbage. It is $999, 50lb glossy piece of crap.

I thought I would be impressed, but in the end I feel like I got swindled.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 4, 2016 8:01 AM

23 replies

May 4, 2016 8:46 AM in response to andrewthread

We are just users here trying to help with issue solving. We are not Apple. It does not help to air your desillusion here, you should go to Apple.

In our family we have three Macbooks with approximately the same specs as your Macbook, they all run fine with 4 GB, although large photoprocessing apps could use some more Ram. But we knew that before buying and thus do not use that kind of resource hungry software.

This is a free answer...

You did not ask for help on a specific issue, so we can not help you..

Thanks,

Lex

May 4, 2016 9:49 AM in response to andrewthread

You’ve had the computer at least 2 years and you just now decided to come here and complain? For 2 years you’ve been unhappy and never thought to ask for help? Well just listen to this: I have a 2011 MBA with 4GB and have no trouble running Photoshop. None. You made at least one bad decision and it wasn’t in buying into the Mac ecosystem.

May 4, 2016 9:52 AM in response to andrewthread

I didn't realize this wasn't some how tied to Apple support. I blame myself for not doing more homework on the products, but I feel like they are selling a Macbook PRO, they advertise it using all these resource heavy programs, Final Cut, Photoshop, Games etc...and being a step up from the other products hence the PRO.

On a PC I would have probably thought to upgrade from 4gb but I never had the experience with the OS and thought it maybe a lot more lightweight. Do people really buy a Macbook Pro to just browse the inter-webs?

The thing is though, I'm not doing crazy things with it. I barely have any programs on it.

Are there any worthwhile cleaners/booster software out there?

May 4, 2016 10:03 AM in response to andrewthread

If you owned a car and decided you needed a bigger engine, and returned to the dealer and asked for a larger engine, they would NOT swap it into the car you have, they would sell you different one.

If a particular Mac does not meet your needs, it is similar situation. You convert into CASH (by selling it) the one that does not meet your needs, and buy one that better meets your needs.

May 4, 2016 10:08 AM in response to andrewthread

Everything you need to keep your Mac is peak operating condition shipped in the box it came in. Unlike on a PC, Apple wants you to be a happy customer, and includes everything you need from day 1, EXCEPT a Backup Drive (the backup software IS included).

Aftermarket boosters and cleaners tend to throw away the caches that allow your Mac to operate quickly and smoothly. They are a very frequent cause of instability and crashing. Many problems and emergencies are caused by their completely inappropriate application. They are not needed and not desirable.

May 4, 2016 10:46 AM in response to andrewthread

It is fairly common in both the Mac and PC world for computers to run wonderfully in the first few months and then slowly slow down until one day you realize that the thing is just impossible to use. The reasons are different though. In the PC world you’d blame the Registry and purchase a cleaning program to clear up the mess of old and incompatible DLLs or you’d wipe the drive and start over. In the Mac world the problem is often caused by those cleaning products and the anti-malware software that Macs really don’t need.

If you want to get to the bottom of this and actually use your MBP (which should be possible, my older less powerful MBA can handle the software you are complaining about) I suggest you download EtreCheck, run it, and then post the results in a new thread asking for help. EtreCheck is a program written by a helper here that lets us get a good look under the hood of your computer. Until we see what kind of plug-ins and extras you are using we can’t really help.

Why Did I Buy This?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.