Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

disk not readable message El Capitan/Canon camera - how to fix?

Since El Capitan upgrade I get 'disk not readable' when connecting Canon camera via usb and also when using card reader.

Posted on May 4, 2016 7:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2016 8:12 AM

If your OS X 10.11 upgrade (from an earlier Mac OS X version such as OS X 10.10 or less) is giving trouble that your previous version did not experience, check with your Canon camera support to see if it and the software you are using is compatible with El Capitan. Your camera's firmware or software may require updating for El Cap compatibility. If Canon updates are not available, you will need to wait for them or revert to your older but working Mac OS X version.

If you really updated from one El Cap 10.11.x version to a later one, you may simply need to use OS X Recovery to completely reinstall Mac OS from the Recovery System stored on your startup drive.

If you need more help, when you post back, tell us which Canon camera and software, if any, you use as well as which Mac OS version number you updated to and from. We will try to offer more specific suggestions based on the details in your response.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.11.4

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2016 8:12 AM in response to nicsman

If your OS X 10.11 upgrade (from an earlier Mac OS X version such as OS X 10.10 or less) is giving trouble that your previous version did not experience, check with your Canon camera support to see if it and the software you are using is compatible with El Capitan. Your camera's firmware or software may require updating for El Cap compatibility. If Canon updates are not available, you will need to wait for them or revert to your older but working Mac OS X version.

If you really updated from one El Cap 10.11.x version to a later one, you may simply need to use OS X Recovery to completely reinstall Mac OS from the Recovery System stored on your startup drive.

If you need more help, when you post back, tell us which Canon camera and software, if any, you use as well as which Mac OS version number you updated to and from. We will try to offer more specific suggestions based on the details in your response.

Mac OSX 10.11.4

May 7, 2016 10:39 AM in response to EZ Jim

Hi Jim

Thanks for your response. I'm on OS 10.11.3 and I can't recollect my upgrade path.

I have contacted Canon also as you suggested and they have pointed me at an upgrade for EOS Utility. I have downloaded and it has worked, I have now all todays pics safely on my HDD.

I had been getting problems downloading pics with my previous camera (5 year old) and thought my problems would go with my new one (EOS 6D - a first foray into full-size sensor).

Again, many thanks

Peter

May 8, 2016 10:07 AM in response to nicsman

YW, Peter.

nicsman wrote:...I'm on OS 10.11.3 ...

There is a newer El Capitan.

Restart your Mac. Then either downloadn and install OS X El Capitan 10.11.4 Combo Updateor simply use OS X Recovery to completely reinstall your Mac OS from the Recovery System stored on your startup drive to get the latest version.

nicsman wrote:... (EOS 6D - a first foray into full-size sensor)....

WOW! Nice. Enjoy.

Mac OSX 10.11.4

May 8, 2016 11:45 AM in response to nicsman

The solution to upgrade camera software is odd, since the Mac cannot see the camera at all. Through what device would I execute such an upgrade, or access to the internet for such an upgrade, if the Mac can't see it?

Mine is similar issue... My Panasonic DMC-S27 point/shoot camera has always worked (connected to Mac and downloaded to Photos just like with older Mac iPhoto versions) ... it worked in older iMac (since replaced), with new one, and in several Mac operating system upgrades. El Capitan comes along, and POOF... the camera does not connect via USB and does not even appear in the profiler.

The good news is there's an SD slot in the iMac, and the card works fine. But it's suprising. It's been several years since I needed an external SD card reader, and I thought those days were gone with USB cameras and other external USB devices. Maybe not!!

What are chances Apple will recognize this and fix it? Seems not that hard to do.

May 9, 2016 6:47 AM in response to Chewrag

Hi Chewy (you're not big and hairy as well are you?) ;o)

The Canon upgrade was in computer interface software not the camera's firmware. I can't help feeling at times that Apple make haste slowly to enable you to avoid having to use their Apps. Photos seems to regard any jpeg or RAW file as their property once uploaded to the machine and does the minimum to facilitate your workflow methodology.

It's odd how SD cards are sometimes recognised when cameras aren't, seeing as the files in the camera are being read from the card.

And there comes often at these interfaces each blaming the other for failures.

Ah well, the pleasures of computers.

Cheers

Peter

May 10, 2016 8:18 AM in response to EZ Jim

Sad to relate, even after updating to 10.11.4 my camera formatted SD cards still pull up that same message. There's some disconnect in the file formatting that locks them out when not going through the Canon downloader. I inserted a card into my card reader to transfer files to another computer and up pops the dread message. Not there with USB stick. Verrrry strange.

May 10, 2016 11:10 AM in response to nicsman

nicsman wrote:... my camera formatted SD cards still pull up that same message. There's some disconnect in the file formatting ...

(1) Have you checked with Canon to see if it is a known issue for which they might be working on an update?

(2) Have you tried a Mac formatted card in the camera to see if the camera will write reliably to it and whether your Mac can read those files?

(3) If your SD card is high capacity, you may find some help in one of these:

    Error code -36 - HELP!!!

   About the SD and SDXC card slot - Apple Support

Mac OSX 10.11.4

May 10, 2016 11:33 AM in response to EZ Jim

Well,well I've learned another newthing! I have a card reader built-in, and which reads the Canon formatted card which it rejects from the card reader. It still seeks to gobble the pix for Photos which I don't want to happen so I'll have to stick with loading thru Canon EOS Utility.

Thanks for the lessons - always something new, trouble is retaining the new found knowledge ;o)

May 11, 2016 12:09 PM in response to nicsman

nicsman wrote:...It still seeks to gobble the pix for Photos which I don't want to happen so I'll have to stick with ....

Your issue may be fixable if your Canon and your Mac OS X versions are compatible.

With compatible software, your camera connected, and Photos open, you can disable the Photos gobble as shown here:

User uploaded file

If desired, quit Photos and launch your Mac's "Image Capture" app to select what action occurs when you connect your camera as shown here:

User uploaded file

Mac OSX 10.11.4

disk not readable message El Capitan/Canon camera - how to fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.