Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airdrop Name Change with User Login

I have around 35+ Mac computers connected to the network where I work. Because of the company's policy we need to have an already computer name prefix ( for example AMUSXXXXXXX were the last 7 digits are the last 7 of the serial number).

My users want to use AirDrop but with their names on it instead of seeing the computer names that were assigned when changed via the GUI inside of System Preferences > Sharing, using the Rename function inside of Apple's Remote Desktop or using the command line with :

sudo scutil --set ComputerName "newname"

sudo scutil --set LocalHostName "newname"

sudo scutil --set HostName "newname"

iCloud is not permitted in those computers since they are company issued computers so using the Contacts.app to sync them is not possible ( I also tried that and it didn't work, it does work on iOS).

Is there any string that I can use to change in any of the plist or any other command via bash to set a custom name for AirDrop without changing the ComputerName/LocalHostName/Hostname?

Changing the ComputerName/LocalHostName/Hostname or ComputerID is not a solution since we have each Mac joined on an Active Directory Domain and the computer names are identifiable on other server applications by the same naming convention mentioned above. Using user name is not an option since most of those computers are logged in by different users has well and the computer name won't always be synced to the current logged account.

We do have a network AFP file share server but AirDrop for this group is crucial.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

If this is a feature that Apple needs to add to make AirDrop more manageable then I will understand, I will then wait until setting a custom name just for Airdrop is available.

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 4, 2016 9:56 AM

There are no replies.

Airdrop Name Change with User Login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.