Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the purpose of multiple iTunes libraries? Is it because iTunes is slow with a large library?

I found the link on creating multiple itunes libraries

Open a different iTunes Library file or create a new one - Apple Support

searching on a way to make iTunes faster.

Normally a different itunes library would be tied to a different user account.

Is this feature Apple's response to iTunes being painfully slow with a large library? Is it the right solution?

Posted on May 4, 2016 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2016 2:37 PM

xefned wrote:

Is this feature Apple's response to iTunes being painfully slow with a large library? Is it the right solution?

No, and probably not. Some may choose multiple libraries as a way of managing multiple devices. Personally I have my main library, another that I use only with iTunes Match, and several that I might use for testing iTunes behaviour when I'm answering questions and I want to get the details right. Most activity in iTunes causes it to update the .itl file, and the .xml if it is being created. There is likely to be some kind of non-linear relationship between the size of the library and the time taken to process updates. Each smart playlist has to be updated when data changes. The more smart playlists and playlist folders you have the longer that activity takes. Avoid creating the .xml if you don't have any need for it, the control is under iTunes > Preferences > Advanced.

tt2

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2016 2:37 PM in response to xefned

xefned wrote:

No, and probably not. Some may choose multiple libraries as a way of managing multiple devices. Personally I have my main library, another that I use only with iTunes Match, and several that I might use for testing iTunes behaviour when I'm answering questions and I want to get the details right. Most activity in iTunes causes it to update the .itl file, and the .xml if it is being created. There is likely to be some kind of non-linear relationship between the size of the library and the time taken to process updates. Each smart playlist has to be updated when data changes. The more smart playlists and playlist folders you have the longer that activity takes. Avoid creating the .xml if you don't have any need for it, the control is under iTunes > Preferences > Advanced.

tt2

What is the purpose of multiple iTunes libraries? Is it because iTunes is slow with a large library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.