Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot log into Mac App Store on Early 2013 Macbook Pro

Hello, this is my first time here on the Apple Support Forums. But I've been on many other forums trying to solve this issue I have been having.

So my issue is, I have an early 2013 Macbook Pro with no lid and a non working internal Wifi Card. I am able to use the Macbook thorugh HDMI which is on the daughterboard where the wifi card sits. Everytime I try to sign into the app store to do the free upgrade to El Capitan it says "Your Device or Computer cannot be verified".

Now I have tried deleting the Network.Plist and restarting the Mac and still no upgrade.

I can only use a TP Link USB Wifi Adapter to connect to the internet or use Tethering to my Samsung Phone.

Regardless of what I do, I still get the same error. I've even had a few friends give me their Installers for El Capitan on USB and I get the message that roughly says "This installer cannot be verified and may have been tampered with". This has happened with a Yosemite installer and El Capitan installer. The installer doesn't quite look like what I remember, but it says "Installer.dmg".

Has anyone else has this issue before and solved it? This Macbook does NOT have onboard ethernet either, so I cannot go that route. And using Command+R doesn't work as it will not initiate the USB Wifi adapter.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 4, 2016 11:01 AM

8 replies

May 4, 2016 7:56 PM in response to AnthonyofSCT

If the Hardware does not show up, yes it could. Apple used to use Ethernet M.A.C. Address as an additional identifier, but when Macs were issued without any Ethernet, they seem to have switched over to the remaining Wi-Fi M.A.C. address. those addresses are issued in big blocks, that a company can put in its products to uniquely identify them. so Apple can look up, "is this one of ours?"

Mac OS X has no registration codes, but it IS tied to both the Apple-ID, serial number, and very likely the M.A.C. Address of the machine.

do you have another Mac? you may be able to install software on a comparable machine and then move or clone the drive. (but you will not be able to do software Updates). It is probably worth a test-Install to find out.

May 4, 2016 8:02 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hmm..so even with a USB WiFi adapter, unless it has the original Mac address issued to the internal WiFi it'll stop the Mac Store sign in but not iTunes, or I cloud. I can even get normal updates. Just nothing requiring me to sign into Mac app store. Could replacing the internal WiFi card solve this issue??

I had a friend put the Yosemite installer on his ftp server. Downloaded a full like 6gb file and it gives the error 'the install may have been tampered with'.

I could maybe use a friend's pawnshop to test the WiFi theory.

May 4, 2016 8:12 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I contacted the place I purchased this half of a mac from and they told me they used it as a donor machine. They purchased a working MacBook for a customer and they swapped the customers motherboard and ssd from the damaged machine to the new machine. They booted up the new machine with customers board and ssd and had and properly working machine and upgraded it to El Caps no issue. I purchased this half and Mac for $100. So I can't really complain, but it's pretty unfortunate I can't go to the latest OS.

Cannot log into Mac App Store on Early 2013 Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.