Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage trying to send without wifi or data

Using my iPhone 5S (iOS 9.3.1), iMessage has been finicky since setup of the phone. When my phone isn't connected to wifi and when data is turned off, the phone still wants to send an iMessage rather than a text. I have to force send as a text. Typically, I receive a message about 5 minutes later saying "Message to (contact) failed to send" when in fact it did send and go through to the recipient. My phone will then resend the text, causing the person I'm contacting to receive double messages. The only fix I've found is if I force send a text 3 times back-to-back, the phone will finally default to sending as a text. After calling my carrier about the issue, I reset iMessage and the phone itself, but the issue persists.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.3.1, iMessage

Posted on May 4, 2016 10:59 AM

1 reply

May 4, 2016 11:32 AM in response to kjwatson

We had this come up recently

The iPhone is not set up to detect the presence or absence of data for iMessage

It is simply set to use iMessage if it is turned on and signed into - first

The obvious (but hard to follow) advice I can give you is - consider shutting off iMessage in Settings - Messages when not on WiFi or data - that may circumvent the double text issue.

iMessage trying to send without wifi or data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.