Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Splitting up iCloud and family sharing

My husband and I currently have three devices (IPhone 5S, IPhone 6 and IPhone 6 plus) that share the same iCloud account. This means that all contacts and photos are shared across all three devices. Two phones are for personal use and the other is a work phone and the amount of photos and contacts is just getting too big. I was thinking the easiest solution would be to create a separate iCloud account for each device and then use family sharing so we can what photos and contacts need to be on each device.

The main thing I want to be able to achieve is:

1) CONTACTS: each phone to have their own personal contacts that are NOT automatically shared between the three devices BUT to have shared contacts between all three devices eg work contacts that are accessible on all three devices.

2) PHOTOS: Same as above, each phone having own photos that are not automatically shared between the three devices but to have a shared folder for photos to be viewed on all three devices,

3) Apps - especially paid for apps, available across all three devices eg we have paid for the TomTom app and need this to be on all three devices without having to pay for it again.

What is the easiest way of achieving this? We must have around 400 contacts and don't want to have to add each one individually to a new account,

Is the above even possible?

iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 4, 2016 12:06 PM

1 reply

May 4, 2016 2:52 PM in response to picklednut123

on # 1 - There are no shared Contacts in Family Sharing. Individual only.

on # 2 - There is a Shared Family Album. And individual albums and photo libraries.

on # 3 - The purpose of Family Sharing is to share most Apps and Music. Not every App is shareable. Not every in-app purchase is shareable. You will have to check with Tom-Tom to see what you can share. This is a developer's decision, not Apple's.

http://www.apple.com/ca/icloud/family-sharing/

Splitting up iCloud and family sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.