Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn Off Software Updates

How do I turn off software updates to my devices. After the last fiasco with 9.3, I refuse to update to anymore. I was on the telephone with Apple Customer support for 2 hours after 9.3 locked up my phone and Apple had no clue to solve the problem. This was due entirely to the 2 item verification added for security. It was so secure that I can't use my own phone. Supposedly I cancelled the 2 item verification, which in turn wiped iCloud data from all of my devices - Mac, iPhone, iPad. Now that's security.

APPARENTLY, cancelling the 2 item verification didn't work either! I had to use it to get to the boards, and I need to have 2 devices so I could get the code. The code apple sends disappears when you go back to the screen to enter it.

<Edited by Host>

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3, null

Posted on May 4, 2016 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2016 1:35 PM

If I remember correctly (and this has been some time ago), to "turn off software updates" simply tap the "Not Now" or "Remind Me Later" (or whatever) option when the iOS software update dialog box appears. After doing this 3 or 4 times, you should stop getting the prompts. Then delete the iOS update from the list in:

Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage (in STORAGE)

if you like. I'm not saying I recommend doing this, just answering the question. I think a more prudish approach is to wait a week or so and see (from this forum, for example) if users are having any common problems with a particular software update. Then make the decision based on that.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2016 1:35 PM in response to gwendt01

If I remember correctly (and this has been some time ago), to "turn off software updates" simply tap the "Not Now" or "Remind Me Later" (or whatever) option when the iOS software update dialog box appears. After doing this 3 or 4 times, you should stop getting the prompts. Then delete the iOS update from the list in:

Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage (in STORAGE)

if you like. I'm not saying I recommend doing this, just answering the question. I think a more prudish approach is to wait a week or so and see (from this forum, for example) if users are having any common problems with a particular software update. Then make the decision based on that.

Turn Off Software Updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.