Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it recommended to install anti virus on my new iMac?

New to iMac, I wonder if it is recommended to install internet security software, as I have always done on PCs?

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 4, 2016 10:59 AM

9 replies

May 4, 2016 1:11 PM in response to Alisnocturnis

I use Dr Safety from the Mac App store

I used to use Avira (it's free too) but it's not on the Mac App store

I have a mid-2010 Mac Mini with a 27" Apple Display (thru the mini display port).

It is the cheapest of the Mac Mini's at that time but I put in a 1TB SSD (Munchkin Brand) and up'ed the memory to 8GB

It performs fast with only 2 processors

So I am sure yours would perform like it is not even there.

There are other programs out there that help to stop you form getting a ransom ware (but only if your downloading Torrents), there are programs out there that actually are good but some are, like the last guy said, scams.

My suggestions are to only use something from the Mac App store

Keep your Updates to Automatic for System and Security update download/installs

System Settings>Security & Privacy> Allow Apps downloaded from Mac App Store and identified Developers ONLY

Download and install Dr Safety from the App store

Use Time Machine

Apple's are less prone to Viruses/Malware BUT they still get them. I don't care what anyone from Apple says.

Better safe than sorry

We had one one time on my wife's old 20" iMac back using 10.6.8 OS X

The only thing that was good was the Time Machine backups from weeks earlier were not infected and I was running ClamX at the time to find out she had one on her computer, from a file (.zip) from someone else.

Always Trust but verify.....

May 7, 2016 5:44 PM in response to Alisnocturnis

Not everyone spends hour after hour programming on their Mac

I use those on my stuff

you may never visit a website that I may visit

to each their own

I would NEVER put something on my mac that "says" it will "optimize" or any of that

They may tell you not to use a anti-virus/malware/anti-ransom ware or some-waremaggedon and you do so of free will.

I chose to use something on my stuff.

It's like do you chose to walk on the right side of the street or the left side of the street?

It's your own choice

I just tend to err more on being cautious and use a program on my stuff.

But of course I occasionally download a torrent, and that part of the internet is not a PBS kids part of the internet.

Is it recommended to install anti virus on my new iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.