Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to copy clip to another event as alias

I want to copy clips from Library A to Library B without actually copying/duplicating the source media. I want library B to reference the exact same source file as Library A.

I cannot see how to do this by dragging clips from one Library to the other from within FCPX, no matter what key combos I use. It either Copies it (fully duplicating the source file to the new Library directory) or Moves it.

However, if I go to the Finder and drag clips into FCPX while holding Option+Command, those clips stay put but are referenced in as many Libraries as I want.

The Finder option is not practical because I have hundreds of clips I need to "Copy".

Am I missing something?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), null

Posted on May 4, 2016 11:33 AM

1 reply

How to copy clip to another event as alias

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.