Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! Synth will not play on Logic X

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone else has had any issues with getting an external instrument to play in Logic X (10.2.2)? And how it was resolved?

I want to play the actual synth sounds; it plays the default logic software instruments so all I have at the moment is an expensive MIDI keyboard.

My synth is an Arturia MicroBrute SE (brand new). I have downloaded the Arturia Software Centre and also installed the Microbrute Connection plug-in.

I have tried changing all the external instrument settings (both MicroBrute and MicroBrute Interface settings on the MIDI destination, MIDI channels and inputs). I have also tried changing the USB port to which the synth is plugged in. The synth is only connected to my MacBook Pro via a USB - other than the power lead it is not connected in any other way.

I'm really at a loss on how to sort this so if anyone has any ideas about tweaking MIDI settings/preferences in Logic then i'm all ears.

Thanks in advance for your help - please feel free to plug for more info on diagnostics.

Sam.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on May 4, 2016 11:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2016 2:35 PM

Ok, first... in case you don't know your, USB connection is a MIDI In/Out connection, second, MIDI is --not-- sound.

Try this: Create an external MIDI Track, make sure the Arturia USB is selected in the inspector, hit record, record a few key presses.

No sound right? Ok plug a set of headphones into the Arturia, volume 50% or less... rewind and hit play, can you hear the MBse through the phones?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2016 2:35 PM in response to Samnutter3212

Ok, first... in case you don't know your, USB connection is a MIDI In/Out connection, second, MIDI is --not-- sound.

Try this: Create an external MIDI Track, make sure the Arturia USB is selected in the inspector, hit record, record a few key presses.

No sound right? Ok plug a set of headphones into the Arturia, volume 50% or less... rewind and hit play, can you hear the MBse through the phones?

May 4, 2016 2:35 PM in response to Pancenter

Hi, thanks very much for that. I can now record it as an audio and I can play it back ✅

I've yet to buy some speakers so am I right in thinking I would need to have a line out from the synth to some sort of hub where the speakers then pick up the signal?

The objective being listening to everything at once because, as you will understand, I can only listen to the synth with headphones on - not the whole project.

Thanks for your help, very much appreciated.

May 4, 2016 2:56 PM in response to Samnutter3212

Samnutter3212 wrote:

Hi, thanks very much for that. I can now record it as an audio and I can play it back ✅

I've yet to buy some speakers so am I right in thinking I would need to have a line out from the synth to some sort of hub where the speakers then pick up the signal?

The objective being listening to everything at once because, as you will understand, I can only listen to the synth with headphones on - not the whole project.

Thanks for your help, very much appreciated.

Sam, most people use an audio interface which serves two purposes. One, it records (and plays back) much better sounding audio. Two, it has both Mic/Instrument inputs so you can plug and record a variety of synths/microphone/guitars...etc. It will also have speaker and headphone outputs. And can monitor your synth while you perfect the MIDI part. And something I didn't go into before, there's an external Instrument plugin that allows you to use your external synth in a similar fashion to Logic's built-in synths.

Here's an example. You have to make sure your current and future Mac operating systems will be supported... if you decide to get something, take your time and investigate.

https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2/specifications

May 4, 2016 3:22 PM in response to Samnutter3212

Samnutter3212 wrote:

Just so we're straight here... even though you're hearing audio through the headphones plugged into the synth... it is not audio you've recorded, it's MIDI, that's triggering the MB. (that is unless you've plugged the MBse Line Out into he audio input of the Mac and actually recorded it as an audio waveform.

You have to eliminate the idea that a MIDI recording is sound, it's not. It's a small amount of data that shows what keys you pressed and how long you held them down...etc. You can play back the track with any of the MB's sounds.

Help! Synth will not play on Logic X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.