Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Documents and Data and Other

Hi,

I have a 16GB iPhone 6 Plus. This is the worst iPhone I have ever owned, and it is my 5th. False advertising actually means it can only store 11.3GB of data. I ran out of space, and like I do every once in a while, I wiped the phone and started fresh. A couple of hours later 3GB of space is used for who knows what. There are only 12 apps on the phone, who's usage adds up to 580MB. Plugging this piece of crap into iTunes shows 1.7GB of "Documents and Data" and 1GB of "Other" taking up space. There are no songs, videos, or podcasts on the phone. Mail is not set up even though iCloud configures your email account by default. I turned that off. There are no voicemails or messages on the phone (it was just reset). Still, 3GB is taken. It is my fault for buying a phone with such meagre storage, but I expect to be able to use ALL of what I have even if Apple's advertising is false. I've read all of the major blogs regarding how to clean up such space, but they didn't change a thing. What else can I do at this point? Even a full reset doesn't seem to clear it. Only another year until I'm out of my contract, then it is Android city for me.

Thanks

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.3.1, 16GB, AT&T

Posted on May 4, 2016 11:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2016 11:47 AM

It's not false advertising. it's called math... Storage is calculated using decimal math for marketing purposes, where 1KB = 1000 Bytes. Computers don't work that way, they use hexadecimal math where 1KB = 1024 Bytes. As storage gets larger, the discrepancy grows as well. There is also overhead required for formatting and error correction.

That's the way it's been since the dawn of electronic computers.

If you are that unhappy about it, go buy something else... let us know how that works out for you.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2016 11:47 AM in response to Jason Watkins

It's not false advertising. it's called math... Storage is calculated using decimal math for marketing purposes, where 1KB = 1000 Bytes. Computers don't work that way, they use hexadecimal math where 1KB = 1024 Bytes. As storage gets larger, the discrepancy grows as well. There is also overhead required for formatting and error correction.

That's the way it's been since the dawn of electronic computers.

If you are that unhappy about it, go buy something else... let us know how that works out for you.

Documents and Data and Other

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.