Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memory Usage not Updating After Deleting Photos

Hi everyone,

My memory is almost full. The majority of it is taken up by 'other'. I believe this is something to do with my Photo app not being recognised. Anyway, I have backed up all my albums and then deleted the them from my computer. This hasn't made any difference to the memory usage. I have made sure that the 'recenty deleted' album and trash can are also empty.

These are my computer details:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

Processor 2 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

OS X El Capitan - Version 10.11.4

I hope someone can help!

Thanks

apple mac, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on May 4, 2016 11:52 AM

11 replies

May 4, 2016 11:58 AM in response to paulmallick

How did you backup your photos?

If you used Time Machine and the deleted the original files then your photos are now candidates for deletion from the Time Machine backup.

It appears your guess about what is using your disk space, by the way memory is usually used to refer to RAM, my suggestion is to download and install OmniDiskSweeper to find out the names of the files and folders which are using the disk space on your Mac. If they are not files and folders you created ask here before deleting anything.

May 4, 2016 12:30 PM in response to paulmallick

You are getting a little low on hard drive space.

Have you tried emptying your Trash?

Try downloading and installing OmniDiskSweeper:

https://www.omnigroup.com/more

OmniDiskSweeper will sort your files by size and show you where they are located. This should allow you to determine exactly what you have on your MBP.

You may also be able to move some of these larger files such as videos, etc. to an external drive to free up space on your startup drive.

See the following video on OmniDiskSweeper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT2Bz1VIfRw

Also see OS X: What is "other" space in About This Mac? - Apple Support

Kim

Memory Usage not Updating After Deleting Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.