Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buying (early) 2013 Macbook pro 15inch

Hi everyone! So my old faithful 2011 (early) macbook pro died out last year. After making it through late high school and all of college it finally was ready to retire. My trackpad was broken, the screen was damaged, and I was running out of ram that was causing the computer not to even turn on. So, I upgraded to a (late) entry level 2015 macbook air for budget concerns and I have not liked the experience. It personally feels like a downgrade to me, i'm already running low on memory, and I haven't been very satisfied with the upgrade. I find myself not even using the computer that much for my entertainment purposes like I did with my pro.

Recently I came into some extra money so I bought an (early) 2013 macbook pro retina 15.4” with Intel Core i7-3635QM, 8GB RAM, and 256GB SSD on sale. Ironically it's an upgrade over my macbook air from 2015. I'm very excited, but I'm worried it's not going to be able to keep up with the times in two or three years. I want this computer to last me like my last macbook pro. Do you think I should be okay with it? I'm not a power user by any means, I do light photo editing, light gaming, and the rest of the time it's just school work.

Thanks for your advice and help!

Mac Pro, null

Posted on May 4, 2016 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2016 6:44 PM

You have used a Mac before - so were you able to get your photo editing and gaming done satisfactorily on 8 GB RAM? That is the one concern I would have - other than that - yes people advise for the largest drive you can buy but one can always move stuff to an external location - as OGELTHORPE likes to say - you can upgrade your drive but not the memory.

Other than that you should be fine - my opinion but we can see what the others have to say

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2016 6:44 PM in response to Johupale

You have used a Mac before - so were you able to get your photo editing and gaming done satisfactorily on 8 GB RAM? That is the one concern I would have - other than that - yes people advise for the largest drive you can buy but one can always move stuff to an external location - as OGELTHORPE likes to say - you can upgrade your drive but not the memory.

Other than that you should be fine - my opinion but we can see what the others have to say

Buying (early) 2013 Macbook pro 15inch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.