Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting iPad Pro 12.9" to PC's USB 3 port using new iPad USB 3 camera connection kit

Hello. I'd like to connect my iPad Pro 12.9" to my PC utilizing the USB 3 speed of the iPad's Lightning port for faster syncing and back ups. I bought the new USB 3 camera connection kit and an A to A USB 3 cable, put everything together and ran iTunes, but it's not recognizing the iPad. Has anyone tried this?

iPad Pro, Windows 10

Posted on May 4, 2016 1:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2016 2:04 PM

You don't need the Camera Connection Kit to do this. Connect your iPad to your PC using the lightning to USB cable that came with the iPad.

11 replies

May 5, 2016 9:32 AM in response to elcpu

Unfortunately this won't work. Both the adapter and the USB-C lightning cable have a male connector, so you can't connect them together.

So far I haven't seen any report of a successful USB 3 speed sync with iTunes to the 12.9'' iPad. People have tried to use non-Apple converters (USB-C female to USB-A male), but apparently so far without success.

Actually I haven't even found a report of a USB-3 speed sync to a Macbook 12''. It looks that people own either a large iPad or the small laptop, but not both.

May 7, 2016 10:46 AM in response to Farmlake

I borrowed my son's Macbook 12'' and plugged my iPad Pro 12.7'' in. I already had the cable, because I use it along with the Macbook charger to quick-charge the iPad Pro.

Then I checked the "System Information" on the Macbook: The iPad Pro was listed as the only connected USB device, and it was listed as a USB 2 device. Just to be extra sure I synced a movie to the iPad via iTunes, and it was as slow as on my Mac Mini via USB-2.

May 11, 2016 8:15 AM in response to Farmlake

Well, I found a way to improve the speed of file transfers but it didn't improve iTunes backup speed, which is what I was after. What I did was connect the iPad Pro to my home network via Ethernet using both the USB 3-Lightning adapter and a USB 3-Ethernet adapter. By previously enabling the iPad to be synced with iTunes over WiFi, iTunes was able to detect it when it was on Ethernet. I found that the iPad needs to have WiFi turned off and the router has to have DHCP enabled for this to work. Again, iTunes backup speed did not improve in my setup.

For file transfer, I used the app Transmit on the iPad to move a large file to-and-from my NAS drive via FTP, and I can say with confidence that the transfer speed was better than AC WiFi and Lightning-PC speeds.

It would be nice if more people try this method and share their results.

Oct 17, 2016 4:34 PM in response to Farmlake

Farmlake,

Which USB to ethernet adapter did you use? I am trying to determine the best route to get a wired connection for troubleshooting network connectivity on specific switch ports. I have a USB Ethernet adapter that works fine with my Mac, but I needed to install drivers first, so I imagine it will not work natively with the USB Camera Adapter.

Connecting iPad Pro 12.9" to PC's USB 3 port using new iPad USB 3 camera connection kit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.