Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I really not import from Photos app into iMovie?

Hello there,

I’m using iMovie 10.0.8 on a Macbook Pro running El Capitan 10.11.4. I’m the only user of this Mac and its running in the standard administrator/overlord mode. There are no guest user accounts or anything else.

I have a Nikon camera, when I import pictures and video from the Nikon it goes straight into Apple’s Photo’s program. That’s fine.

However, when I want to import photos or video into iMovie it won’t let me. I have to physically move the things I want into a new folder on the desktop, and then iMovie has no problem seeing and importing.

Am I being silly? I simply click the import button in iMovie, search through Macintosh HD but the photos app is greyed out! I just want to be able to dump everything into Photos, and then import from there as I wish!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), 16Gb, 256Gb SSD

Posted on May 4, 2016 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2016 2:36 PM

iMovie is showing you all photo libraries in the "My Media" section.

For example:

User uploaded file

Click "My Media", then click the Photos Library in the sidebar, and wait a bit. Photos will show you all moments and albums, ready to drag the photos and clips to the timeline of your project.

My screenshot is from iMovie 10.1.2. You may want to update iMovie for El Capitan 10-11.4.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2016 2:36 PM in response to One Brain Cell

iMovie is showing you all photo libraries in the "My Media" section.

For example:

User uploaded file

Click "My Media", then click the Photos Library in the sidebar, and wait a bit. Photos will show you all moments and albums, ready to drag the photos and clips to the timeline of your project.

My screenshot is from iMovie 10.1.2. You may want to update iMovie for El Capitan 10-11.4.

May 4, 2016 2:38 PM in response to léonie

Thank you so much Leonie,

Ugh, I feel like a dunce, but I’m happy the answer was there and I just couldn’t see it! Sometimes its good to ask silly questions. Its just that I’m excited because my first Mac (iMac DV+) came with a copy of iMovie 2 and I never used it because I didn’t have a DV camera and external HDD’s were so expensive at the time.

Now here we are 15 years later and storage is cheap, I got a nice second-hand Nikon for a good price and I have a 1Tb external HDD to play with! I can finally do what I always wanted to do with the old iMac (which I still have by the way, and it never feels old to me; looks as new as the day I got it!).

Interestingly the app store is showing no further updates to the version of iMovie I currently have. I wonder why I'm a version or two behind and it hasn't prompted me? Waiting for an International English version, perhaps? I'm based in the UK.

May 4, 2016 2:49 PM in response to One Brain Cell

i wish you joy with your new camera!

Interestingly the app store is showing no further updates to the version of iMovie I currently have. I wonder why I'm a version or two behind and it hasn't prompted me? Waiting for an International English version, perhaps? I'm based in the UK.

Perhaps SpotLight does not see it installed? Is iMovie in the Applications folder? Or have renamed it?

iMovie 10.1.2 is compatible with OS X 10.11.2 or newer.

May 4, 2016 2:54 PM in response to léonie

Yes, its in the same place its always been. I went to the app store just now to check my updates and its not in the list. I then went across to the ‘Featured Apps’ page and looked at Apple Programs. Alongside other things I have installed like Pages and Numbers (both of which I don’t use, and they have the grey ‘Update’ button next to them waiting for me to update), is iMovie, and instead of the grey ‘Update’ button it says ‘Install’.

Some time ago I began downloading an update of iMovie, and kept pausing it time and again over many weeks because I was doing other things and it was a big download. Recently (about a fortnight ago) I finally let iMovie update and it took me to iMovie 10.0.8.

Maybe I just need to try and install it from scratch? My current version of El Capitan (10.11.4) certainly qualifies!

Can I really not import from Photos app into iMovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.