Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clips in timeline keep becoming invisible

So at certain random times while editing in Final Cut, moving one clip somewhere will strangely make a lot of the clips around it invisible. If you play the video of the timeline, they're all still there, but in the timeline itself, they look like black spaces. And it just happens with certain clips I'm trying to edit, making it very difficult to get anything done. Anyone know what the root cause of this problem is?

Posted on May 4, 2016 2:17 PM

6 replies

May 4, 2016 3:35 PM in response to Slimybug

Yeah, we get this every now and then. Seems to be completely random. Annoying, certainly, but appears to be harmless. We usually log off the media server, relaunch the application. Or, we just reboot the Mac. Does not always fix the problem. Problem may come back later. Or not. We also see the browser clips go blank. Skimming over the clip will make the image appear briefly. Heard this was a thumbnail cache problem but I've not yet had the patience to chase it down.

May 19, 2016 7:53 AM in response to Elias71

It's completely harmless in my particular situation, your situation is quite different. But you have not indicated anything that suggests it's a problem with the application or how you have attempted to solve it. Tell us more.

No one from Apple participates on this forum. Anyone who is working with Apple on the next rev of FCPX is completely locked down with powerful and scary NDAs; they're not talking.

Clips in timeline keep becoming invisible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.