Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to import different file types w/ diff. Frame rates

I was given ..avi at 15 FPS AND .mov at 24 FPS from 9 different cameras. I Need to import all into a multi-cam project, then to edit.

A cursory google search only brings up the usual lame convertors like pavtube, etc.

I would appreciate anyone and all to help me out here. Never dealt with this issue, never even heard of this issue.

THanks... In advance.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 4, 2016 2:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2016 2:55 PM

PPAVtube is garbage. Use Compressor or MPEG Streamclip. They should work. Load a piece somewhere and I'll test for you. The 15fps has to be converted. What are the frame rates of the others? Is the 24 24 or is it 23.98? Any 29.97?

18 replies

May 4, 2016 2:55 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom,

I am still receiving more of these via dropbox from germany. They are all over the place..

some are .avi 720p, 1080 p 15 & 30 fps and .mov -1080p, 29.97.

I have both handbrake and mpegstreamclip.

Here is a DBoX link to 3 files, go ahead an cut 'em down to size, I do not need these copies back.

Never have converted 15 fps to anything else, never have used .avi. If I change their frame rate in Mpegstreamclip

from 15 to say 30, will they not "speed up"? I can convert .avi to pro-res no problem -----THAnKS A lot!!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/knht57p50ymcrvu/AAAY6J8oYMBV5k0pStW5i8J4a?dl=0

May 4, 2016 3:22 PM in response to babylonslim

babylonslim wrote:

If I change their frame rate in Mpegstreamclip

from 15 to say 30, will they not "speed up"?

The conversion will essentially duplicate every other frame so when they play at twice the rate, your footage won;t look fast. Whether it will look good, however, is another story; but I'm inclined to be optimistic. If you're not happy, you could give Compressor a try. It has some retime options that may work better.

Good luck.

Russ

May 4, 2016 3:45 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

OK. Here is what I will try???

I will load the avi files into streamclip - export as QuickTime, 30 FPS, 720 p, Pro res 422.

I will do same with the .mov files as well, export them as pro res 422, 720 p, 30 FPS.

IF I do not get a good result, I will try the same thing with compressor. I had not considered the perils of "up-resing" - thanks for that.

I did not think that compressor would know what to do with .avi files. I will experiment accordingly.

I Just want to get them all "ready" to import into a FCP X MultiCam Project - I was going to first set up the project properties

the same as the 1080p .mov files and have the program convert everything to ProRes 422 - THEN import all the

red headed step children in - expecting Final Cut to homogenize everything. So-Bad idea. I need to convert everything down to

720, 30p BEFORE importing into FCP X. This is the consensus?

May 4, 2016 4:49 PM in response to babylonslim

The 720 RMOV0025.AVI is 30fps, not 15 or 29.97. Really would not blow that up. It's really in bad shape. Huge amount of noise in the image when the lights are red of course. It was very dark and the camera is just not good in low light. Convert it to ProRes 29.97, check deinterlace. Media Inspector says it has interlacing, which is silly. Haven't look at the others yet.

May 4, 2016 5:11 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Yep. all the avi stuff looks very bad. They used cheap cameras they found on German Amazon for $60. They returned them the next day.

I have some clips shot at 15 fps, some 23.98, some 30 some at 720 some at 1080. What a mess.

I will turn Perian back on and convert all to Pro Res 422, 30 fps, 720p. I will deinterlace in stream-clip and/or compressor.

and/or JES Deinterlacer.

I appreciate all the help. The biggest thing was reminding me NOT to UP REZ. They will get a 720 vidy.

It is a mess.

May 4, 2016 11:30 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

MPegStreamClip will not accpet avi files over 4 GB. It doesn't create several clips adding up to

4 GB for you - nothing. I put a 6 gig clip in it and it trims it down arbitrarily to a single clip

tthat is perhaps 200 MB. Bummer. Fortunatly I still have Perian on my Yosimete

system that I can activate and then use QT Pro to export large avi clips to

PRoRes 422, 30 FPS, 720 p .mov files. ThanK Gawd for Perian and QT Pro.

May 4, 2016 11:48 PM in response to babylonslim

mixing formats in multicam on a daily ... weekly base - no conversion needed.

FCPX does the trick.

A second is a second - containing 15, 23.96, 60 or whatover number of frames.

Same with resolution:

allways set MC to res of clip with highest res - allows to reframe in projects with smaller res.

... guess, you do a birthday video, right? 😉 actually doing same - a mess: vertical videos, all sorts of fps and codecs, overexposured, low volume, 'room', shake ... easy wih FCPX... just slam it together.

May 5, 2016 1:41 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Internal 1 TB SSD, IMac Mac Hd. With ( I'm sorry) El Capitan - Mac Os Extended, Journaled. I read the whole PDF for MpegStreamClip, it says it will segment AVI clips over 4 GB. into how ever many is needed. NOPE!

IF clip is over 4 GB, it wil trim arbitrary amounts off the end leaving clips of varying sizes from 200 MB To 1 GB. It just disposes of what it trims off. Stupid.

I deleted preferences, changed preference settings, everything. No go.

I kept Perian in an uninstalled state because FX Factory complained whenever I started FCPX.

Exporting AVI from QT PRO allows for manipulation of all variables. Like I said. Thank God.

I Keep reading how its use is going to be fazed out - to be truthful, it has been a while since I even used it...

CHeers....

How to import different file types w/ diff. Frame rates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.