Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What HDMI version has my MacMini?

Hi guys!

I have a home entertaiment with Pioneer AV VSX520k + 5.1 Canton Movie 90 + 55" JU7500 TV Samsung + PS4 + MacMini late 2014 + Cable TV.

Ok, I want to renew my AV with new features support for example HDMI 2.0 and 4K (to xploit new features from my TV and MacMini with 4K movie or youtube).

Well, I have a doubt... What protocol version has HDMI port in my MacMini? Because if MacMini has HDMI 2.0 It will well because new AV, HDMI cable and MacMini had a HDMI 2.0 support and show maximum 4k features --> 2160p/60hz

Posted on May 4, 2016 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2016 2:54 PM

No. only 1.4

Mac computers: Frequently asked questions about using HDMI - Apple Support

8 replies

May 5, 2016 3:30 AM in response to GoldFran

GoldFran wrote:

OK you all right.

Only support HDMI 1.4x. So max resolution is 4K/30hz. What diference exist 30Hz to 60hz watching 4K movie?

At this point no Mac ever made has had better than HDMI 1.4a including the Mac mini. With HDMI 1.4a you can do 4K at up to 30fps but cannot do 4K at 50 or 60fps. In fact the Mac mini cannot even do 4K at 60fps even via a Displayport connection. Remember the Mac mini is the lowest Mac model and has correspondingly lowest video capabilities.

One can hope that if/when Apple release a newer Mac mini model this may change but Apple never say in advance.

As mentioned no current Mac has HDMI 2.0 but for other more capable Macs with better Displayport capabilities you could look at the following adapter.

http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/mini-displayport-12- to-hdmi-20-uhd-active-adapter.html

This adapter will convert Displayport 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 and therefore supports 4K at 60fps. It claims that it itself supports HDCP 2.2 but this in terms of allowing HDCP 2.2 to 'pass through' your computer would also have to support HDCP 2.2 to benefit from this. I mention this because some 4K material will be protected by HDCP 2.2 and I suspect that even on a higher model Mac that would otherwise support 4K this may be a problem. Your own material recorded with a camera would not be protected by HDCP.

May 11, 2016 8:46 AM in response to John Lockwood

John Lockwood wrote:

At this point no Mac ever made has had better than HDMI 1.4a including the Mac mini. With HDMI 1.4a you can do 4K at up to 30fps but cannot do 4K at 50 or 60fps. In fact the Mac mini cannot even do 4K at 60fps even via a Displayport connection. Remember the Mac mini is the lowest Mac model and has correspondingly lowest video capabilities.

One can hope that if/when Apple release a newer Mac mini model this may change but Apple never say in advance.

As mentioned no current Mac has HDMI 2.0 but for other more capable Macs with better Displayport capabilities you could look at the following adapter.

http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/mini-displayport-12- to-hdmi-20-uhd-active-adapter.html

This adapter will convert Displayport 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 and therefore supports 4K at 60fps. It claims that it itself supports HDCP 2.2 but this in terms of allowing HDCP 2.2 to 'pass through' your computer would also have to support HDCP 2.2 to benefit from this. I mention this because some 4K material will be protected by HDCP 2.2 and I suspect that even on a higher model Mac that would otherwise support 4K this may be a problem. Your own material recorded with a camera would not be protected by HDCP.

Hi

To see if i´m clear 🙂

Apple hardware only support HDMI 1.4a spec, that right? So external max resolution is 2160p 30hz --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_1.4, my question is: Visual diference betwen 2160p/24 or 30Hz (HDMI 1.4x) and 2160p/50 or 60Hz (HDMI 2.0)? If my Samsung JU7500 55 Inch has HDMI 2.0, I want to use max spec if possible

I see this adapter for example. Thunderbolt 2 to HDMI 2.0 --> http://www.uptab.com/minidisplayport-thunderbolt-to-hdmi-4kat60hz-adapter-cable- gold-plated.html

Apple say --> Using 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs with your Mac - Apple Support

With OS X Yosemite v10.10.3 and later, most single-stream 4K (3840x2160) displays are supported at 60Hz operation on the following Mac computers:

• MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013)
  • iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) and later
  • Mac mini (Late 2014)
  • MacBook Air (Early 2015)

May 11, 2016 9:07 AM in response to GoldFran

It is more common to refer to TV resolutions by their horizontal resolution - hence the term '4K'. However yes with HDMI 1.4a all current Macs are limited to 2160p which is the vertical resolution of a 4K display.

For playing movies in most cases you probably will not notice much difference between 30fps and 60fps, however if the movie is encoded at 50fps and you play it at 30fps this creates a mis-match that does not allow a simple multiple to compensate and can lead to juddering. For non-movie use especial normal computer use and especially scrolling it can become intolerable.

With regards to Displayport at 4K and support for 60fps, originally Apple stated the Mac mini 2014 model like previous Mac mini models did not support this. Only very recently have Apple changed their 4K article page to change this information although at this point I have not seen actual user test results.

The Mini Displayport 4K to HDMI 2.0 adapter you listed is a different make but basically the same solution as the Club3D adapter I listed for you in my previous reply. Therefore my previous comments on this will also apply as quoted below.

This adapter will convert Displayport 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 and therefore supports 4K at 60fps. It claims that it itself supports HDCP 2.2 but this is actually in terms of allowing HDCP 2.2 to 'pass through' your computer would also have to support HDCP 2.2 to benefit from this. I mention this because some 4K material will be protected by HDCP 2.2 and I suspect that even on a higher model Mac that would otherwise support 4K this may be a problem. Your own material recorded with a camera would not be protected by HDCP.

Since Apple do not themselves provide any 4K material via their iTunes Store - they currently only provide 1920x1080 as a maximum, it is I feel unlikely Apple at this point provide any support for HDCP 2.2.

May 11, 2016 9:27 AM in response to John Lockwood

John Lockwood wrote:

It is more common to refer to TV resolutions by their horizontal resolution - hence the term '4K'. However yes with HDMI 1.4a all current Macs are limited to 2160p which is the vertical resolution of a 4K display.

It´s more confortable to me write 2160p that complete "4K" UHD TV resolution (3840x2160).

PS: 4K comercial name is this (FullHD x4). x2 horizontal resolution / x2 vertical resolution = "4K" 🙂

User uploaded file

For playing movies in most cases you probably will not notice much difference between 30fps and 60fps, however if the movie is encoded at 50fps and you play it at 30fps this creates a mis-match that does not allow a simple multiple to compensate and can lead to juddering. For non-movie use especial normal computer use and especially scrolling it can become intolerable.

I supose that VLC or KODI app fix offset frames (50fps movie to 30fps device support) I haven´t idea...

I only use my MacMini late 2014 basic config to KODI (1080p mkv movies) or Youtube... It´s home video entertaiment center 🙂

Has very much problem with "video screen" because TV in 4k, Pioneer AV in 1080p60... MacMini is crazy!! More time have reboot in remote mode or power off and reset PRAM or change to 1080p by "remote desktop"... so I change TV HDMI cable to 2.0, Pioneer AV to AV 4K...

What HDMI version has my MacMini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.