Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Use Sticky Keys?

I have coordination/proprioception issues and rsi, so I can't type without watching where I'm typing, and can't coordinate both hands, can't use certain grips, and can't use touch devices unless I can disable tapping and disable most gestures. I also have sensory processing issues and migraines, and I can't handle any flashing and certain animation.

I can type pretty quickly, as long as I can see where I'm typing and as long as all key combos are suitable for one hand.

I've enabled sticky keys in the accessibility preferences, because many key combinations are designed for two hands and *all* key+mouse combinations are.

I've encountered problems, though.

Sometimes keys get stuck on, and I end up with extra caps while typing, or missing caps, or worse, I end up with something zooming and triggering my migraines. e.g. command + touchpad scroll does that.

Also the keyboard and the keyboard viewer don't work together. I can't use shift on one keyboard and then the appropriate letter on the other.

Are there ways to solve these problems? Yes, the keys show up on screen.

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 4, 2016 3:41 PM

3 replies

Jul 30, 2016 1:14 AM in response to Marja E

Hi, am also having problems with sticky keys, but in my case in combination with voiceover being enabled: Whenever I press a modifier (e.g. ctrl, shift, etc.), voiceover announces sticky keys being enabled. This is so annoying that I can't be satisfied with my macbook air and imac. I'd also love capslock key acting as a sticky key when voiceover modifier key is assigned to capslock in combination with stickykeys being enabled. Wrote many emails to accessibility@apple.com, but got nothing than promises/automated replies back. Please help us in some way!!!!!!!!!! Thanks in advance, Helmuth

Aug 8, 2016 7:35 PM in response to Marja E

Due to being a quadriplegic AND a web developer sticky keys are vital! However, sticky keys can tricky, so please read, I USED STICKY KEYS & 1 PINKEY TO TYPE THIS. A little VD as well. Stands for Voice Dictation for clear clarification purposes!

I've encountered problems, though.

Sometimes keys get stuck on, and I end up with extra caps while typing, or missing caps, or worse, I end up with something zooming and triggering my migraines. e.g. command + touchpad scroll does that.

I read your statement, about not being able to type without watching where you type, and I am the EXACT same way. Maybe I can pass on something useful from my own workflow. So when I'm typing, I don't waste time looking up to see if a modifier key is visually present on the screen, due to listening to the beep or sound option that is available under [Advanced Options] next to Sticky Keys section *Pic1. TO GET SCREENSHOT [shift+cmd+4+spacebar then hover then click on the window to capture]

User uploaded file

Why Use "The Beep" Or Visual Option...

It does more than just save me time from looking up, it actually helps me ensure that the next problem you were speaking of, when sometimes a modifier key will be activated by clicking on it and then the next thing you know you have windows popping up or documents closing etc.. By the sound option being activated you can actually hear when a modifier key has been hit twice, by a more bolder and strong lock sound, which signifies that it is locked or is acting like the modifier key is physically being held down. You can also visually tell, which I'm sure you know, if a modifier key is in the locked position by looking on the screen and seeing a more bolder modifier key icon, if that option is turned on.

Sticky keys get tricky when you hit a modifier key on accident, or you forget you were you going to use it and start working with your trackpad, then all the tricky things start happening. If you're new to sticky keys I would definitely start with the visual or sound options on, then learn how to use them to the fullest, because it can be confusing when you accidentally start turning all modifier keys to the locked position and start pressing on the keyboard or using a mouse.

Please let me know if I could provide anymore information or I will add to this post if I can think of any other workflow suggestions that you can take or throw in the trash I'm just trying to provide information.

Good luck and have fun.

Chase P.

Aug 10, 2016 5:56 PM in response to cphotwheels

Thanks!

Unfortunately,

(a) my external keyboard doesn't have any light signals,

(b) the sound signals don't cover caps lock, and don't distinguish control, option, command, etc. if I hit the wrong one,

(c) I have severe hyperacusis, and exist in a painful/noisy neighborhood, so I tend to mute my computer, and I try to avoid adding more pain/noise, although I have tried both Enhanced Dictation and Dragon for Mac without success. Enhanced Dictation had too many errors with full sentences. Dragon for Mac had less errors, but would override its own settings, and wouldn't let me correct its errors. Both had more errors with single-word edits, with tables, etc.

and (d) the visual signals aren't visible on the keyboard, only the screen.

How to Use Sticky Keys?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.