Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad will no longer maintain a WiFi connection

My iPad (3rd Generation, wifi only) will not maintain a connection to my router. Lots of time, it won't even recognize the router. None of the other wireless devices in my house have this problem.

iMac

Posted on May 4, 2016 3:11 PM

8 replies

May 4, 2016 3:31 PM in response to JoelandRhonda

Below are some general suggestions for Wi-Fi issues. I suggest starting from the top and working down, maybe they will help....

1) Perform a Forced Restart: Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Allow device to restart.

2) Reset Network Settings: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Rejoin the Network again.

3) Reboot Router/Modem: Unplug from power for 2 minutes and plug again. Update Router Firmware (check manufacturer’s support website for a newer FW). Also try different bands (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) and different bandwidths (20 MHz recommended for the 2.4 band).

4) Change to Google's DNS: Settings > Wi-Fi > Click on the Network, Delete all numbers under DNS and enter 8.8.8.8 or alternatively 8.8.4.4

5) Disable device prioritization on the router if this feature is available.

6) Determine if other Wi-Fi devices on network are working well (other iOS devices, Macs, PCs).

7) Try device at another Network, i.e., neighbors’, public coffee house, etc.

8) Restore the Device (ask for additional for details if desired).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

9) Go to an Apple Store for hardware evaluation.

User Tip: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-9892

May 9, 2016 6:30 PM in response to elcpu

I finally figured it out! I had this problem for over a year and tried everything I found in here and some new solutions that I made up (restarted the device, the router, the modem; optimized the router's setting, updated the firmware; updated the OS and all the apps; renewed the "lease," turned off Bluetooth). Here's what it was, though: go to Settings>>General>>Auto-lock, then click on "Never."

The problem is that some Apple devices try to save battery power by dropping the wifi connection after a set period of time, and if you're doing something relatively passive, like streaming Netflix for example, the device will assume that it isn't being used and stop actively connecting to wifi. The app you're using keeps the screen active and lit, however, even though the device has gone into hibernation.

My iPad will no longer maintain a WiFi connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.