Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying tô make a spreadsheet for Best Price Comparison

User uploaded file

Hi guys. I'm attaching a picture tô help on the issue. I'm trying tô make a sheet tô help me on the service of buying some items tô my little bakery. I would like tô have the possibility of searching for prices with different vendors for the items I need tô use, write it down on the sheet and having the best price in Column M after check in the checkbox of the Vendor and then having the total cost in Row 7. Is it possible ?

thank you all in advance.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Processor 2.7GHz Intel i5 16 GB

Posted on May 4, 2016 3:44 PM

14 replies

May 4, 2016 5:06 PM in response to SGIII

Thank you. I did not know there was such a function. But, is it difficult to make it with checkboxes ? Let's say, for example, I want to choose for a special vendor because of the "proximity of his farm" despite of a little cents more in final prices. Checkboxes would make it easy, right ? But if it is difficult I will do you GOOD suggestion.

Thank you once more.

May 5, 2016 3:35 AM in response to macmithosbr

Hi macmithosbr

The blue triangle is a "warning triangle." Clicking on the triangle will open the warning message:

User uploaded file

In this case it is warning that you are using the TRUE or FALSE value returned by the checkbox as if it were a number. Warning triangles are a sign that what is being done is 'not quite proper,' but that it will not affect the functioning of the formula—you'll get the same answer as you would if you replaced each unchecked box with 0 and the checked box with 1.

SG noted that checkboxes are designed for situations where one or more or the boxes may be checked. If you want to ensure that you have checked only one vendor in a row, you could make this addition to the formula:

IF(COUNTIF(C2:L2,TRUE)=1,C×D+E×F+G×H+I×J+K×L,"check one box")

User uploaded file

Regards,

Barry

May 5, 2016 9:31 AM in response to macmithosbr

Hi macmithosbr,

I see two images in your post.

The top one shows the formula in the Formula Editor, and a correct result in the selected cell.

The second shows what appears to be the same table with the same data, but with error triangles in cells M2 and M7.

Diagnostic steps (these can be skipped, but may offer a learning opportunity):

The error message in M7 will be "Cell M2 contains an error.

What is the error message in cell M2? (Click the triangle to display the message.)

What is the formula in M2? How is it different from the formula in my example?

If you see no difference, try checking the box in column K. Do you get a correct result ("check one box")?

Now uncheck the box in column G. Do you get a correct result ("R$6,23")?

If those two results are both correct, then the error is in the data in H2.

Simple correction steps (less learning involved):

Click once on cell M3 to select it.

Move the mouse pointer to the top edge of M3.

Click on the Fill Handle (yellow circle) that appears at the center of the top boundary of the cell and drag it upward to fill the formula from M3 into M2.

Both error triangles should disappear and the results should be visible in M2 and M7.

If this does not correct the errors, please post:

Screen shot of the error message in M2

Screen shot of error message in M7

Formula copied from M2, and pasted into your message.

Regards,

Barry

May 5, 2016 10:57 AM in response to Barry

What is the error message in cell M2? (Click the triangle to display the message.)

- The formula contains a syntax error

What is the formula in M2?

How is it different from the formula in my example?

Your formula:

If you see no difference, try checking the box in column K. Do you get a correct result ("check one box")?

- No

Now uncheck the box in column G. Do you get a correct result ("R$6,23")?

- No

If those two results are both correct, then the error is in the data in H2.

Simple correction steps (less learning involved):

Click once on cell M3 to select it.

Move the mouse pointer to the top edge of M3.

Click on the Fill Handle (yellow circle) that appears at the center of the top boundary of the cell and drag it upward to fill the formula from M3 into M2.

Both error triangles should disappear and the results should be visible in M2 and M7.

- OK, done.

Now is back to what it was before your new formula and again it is possible to check 2 prices or more in the row making a SUM of them at the end.

Screen shot of the error message in M2

User uploaded file

Screen shot of error message in M7

User uploaded file

Formula copied from M2, and pasted into your message.

Thanks for your time and patience.

May 5, 2016 11:28 AM in response to macmithosbr

Note that your formula in your screenshot doesn't display any of the colored address tokens:

User uploaded file

That indicates Numbers has failed to recognize it as a formula.

Try:

1. Select M2 and hit <delete> to remove all contents and formatting (the Data Format should become Automatic)
  2. Select and copy Barry's formula from his post above exactly as it is displayed (i.e., without a leading =)
  3. Click M2 and type = to call up the formula editor
  4. Command-v to paste in Barry's formula
  5. Click the green tick or hit <return> to accept the formula.

SG

May 5, 2016 2:09 PM in response to macmithosbr

"Now is back to what it was before your new formula and again it is possible to check 2 prices or more in the row making a SUM of them at the end."

OK. That means I had wrongly assumed you had placed my version into M3 as well—which doesn't really make sense, seeing that one was working and the other was not. It also explains the syntax error in my formula, and why it does not affect SG's earlier version.

In English speaking areas of North America, the period ( . ) is used as the decimal separator ( 0.12 ), and the comma is used as a list separator in functions. In other regions, the decimal separator is the comma ( , ), and the list separator is the semi colon ( ; ). The 'list' here is the three parts of the IF statement

Here's the change you need:

User uploaded file

Change the three commas in the formula to semi colons.

Revised: IF(COUNTIF(C2:L2;TRUE)=1;C×D+E×F+G×H+I×J+K×L;"check one box")

When the formula is working, fill it down to M6.

Regards,

Barry

May 6, 2016 7:59 AM in response to Barry

Hi Barry.

You solved the problem. I had once heard about this diference between sintax in US and Brazil (where I live), while using Numbers. Now if I mark two boxes it shows the text "check one box", as you can see in the shot translated to portuguese.

User uploaded file

Now I will read about "list separators" .... lol

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH. GREAT COMMUNITY !

Trying tô make a spreadsheet for Best Price Comparison

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.