Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP stalls, spinning ball, cannot make snapshot

I have my libraries on an external drive. When I go to make snapshot of large project, it stalls. It can also stall when simply selecting part of an audio file

in the timline.

I had just turned computer off and on with no other programs running. How do I trouble shoot this? I can work on project, but unable to back up.

Another thing that happens is when FCP is opening, it is running a task over and over again, about once per second to

go from 0% to 100%, then repeats. Whatever this is, it does not interfere with editing.

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac11,3

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s

Boot ROM Version: IM112.0057.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.59f2

Available: 348.31 GB (348,310,138,880 bytes)

Capacity: 999.35 GB (999,345,127,424 bytes)

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on May 4, 2016 5:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2016 1:03 PM

Open the Background Task window, see what that task is. Click on the clock in the Tool Bar to do that. Once you identify what that Background Task is, you'll know what the problem is. It could still trying to be ingesting footage, or creating optimized or proxy clips, or doing background rendering. I would very strongly suggest going into the Preferences and turning OFF the background rendering.

User uploaded file

I'd also strongly recommend you bump your RAM up to 16 GB. 8 is bare minimum, and really not enough for serious editing. And be sure your Libraries and media are on an external drive, that is fast. Like USB 3.0 (if you iMac supports that) or Thunderbolt. Finally, be sure all connected drives have at least 15% of their total capacity, each, left as free space.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2016 1:03 PM in response to bsmiles99

Open the Background Task window, see what that task is. Click on the clock in the Tool Bar to do that. Once you identify what that Background Task is, you'll know what the problem is. It could still trying to be ingesting footage, or creating optimized or proxy clips, or doing background rendering. I would very strongly suggest going into the Preferences and turning OFF the background rendering.

User uploaded file

I'd also strongly recommend you bump your RAM up to 16 GB. 8 is bare minimum, and really not enough for serious editing. And be sure your Libraries and media are on an external drive, that is fast. Like USB 3.0 (if you iMac supports that) or Thunderbolt. Finally, be sure all connected drives have at least 15% of their total capacity, each, left as free space.

FCP stalls, spinning ball, cannot make snapshot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.