Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

get rid of .emix virus

How do I get rid of the .emix virus on an IMac w/El Capitan, 1tb internal HD?

MacBook Pro, Windows 7, Boot Camp on partitioned 500Gb drv

Posted on May 4, 2016 6:12 PM

6 replies

May 12, 2016 2:40 PM in response to jimk66

I don't think there is such a thing as a .emlx virus. You may be getting confused with a virus attachment received via an email. Emails in Apple's Mail program are stored as .eml or .emlx files. It is the attachment rather than the email file that is really the virus.

In any case just receiving an email with an attachment does not mean your computer is infected. Everyone will receive emails like this i.e. with infected attachments. It is only if you open the attachment and allow it to do its nasty business that you might get infected. Even then the overwhelming majority of these infected attachments only affect Windows and not Mac. The majority of the rest are Word or Excel macro type viruses which might cause a problem on the Mac if your using Office 2011. If your using Office 2016 then there is less than it will cause a problem on the Mac because Microsoft failed to include full macro support in Office 2016 for Mac.

As BobTheFisherman said what makes you think your infected. We need more information to answer this.

May 5, 2016 5:39 AM in response to jimk66

the file is almost assuridly innocuous in the Mac, but if you want an AV to destroy because it has the potential to harm your Windows 7 partition if you booted to your Windows 7 partition and then executed the payload in Windows 7 you should boot to Windows 7 and run your Windows Anti Virus scan after updating your definitions.

On Mac I would just delete the email.

May 6, 2016 1:13 PM in response to jimk66

Files with the .emix extension are Apple Mail email files. Download and run Find Any File to search for any files with the .emix extension. For example: Name ends in .emix

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.

You'll get two types of possible search results layouts: list and by folder:

List:

User uploaded file

Folder:

User uploaded file

So unless you've received a lot of new emails recently I don't think that's whats using up your disk space.

Do you have Time Machine enabled but not have your TM external HD attached?

User uploaded file

get rid of .emix virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.