Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my macbook pro gets real slow when using iTunes

I have a Macbook Pro, with 320 hard disk, 320 gb hard disk memory, 4 gb RAM. I think it's about 4 years old. I have over 12K songs in my iTunes library. Every time I open this program, my mac gets real slow and I get the beach ball of death very often. Is there something I can do in the program, or the laptop, or is this time to get a new Mac?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), 320 gb hard disk, 4 gm ram

Posted on May 4, 2016 6:27 PM

5 replies

May 5, 2016 1:55 PM in response to Luisa54

Are you saying iTunes is never able to run? How long have you let it go to see if it eventually starts? I would let it run for a couple of hours it might be trying to fix something. If it can not start at all any more then the indexes for your music have probably become corrupted, and the solution is going to suck. You can remove or rename the music library files in {User Folder}/Music/iTunes/ listed below. Do not delete them. You might want to put them back later. Then start iTunes. This will effectively reset iTunes. You will have to re-import all of your music in to iTunes. So play counts, play lists, etc. will all be gone, but it will be working again.

Files to rename.

iTunes Music Library.xml

iTunes Library.itl

iTunes Library Extras.itdb

iTunes Library Genius.itdb

May 5, 2016 7:24 PM in response to Brian Cook4

Sorry for the late reply, it was a very busy day at work. The program does start up, but it takes a while, I think because it's looking for available downloads. But after that, anytime I give a command, like make a new playlist, or click on a device that is synchronizing, I get the beach ball for a long time before it acts. Everything I do in iTunes now takes a long time because I always get the beach ball for a while. And if I try to see a device while it's downloading songs, it goes on a loop and never finishes. I have to force quit. And this is with only iTunes running.

my macbook pro gets real slow when using iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.