Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't it log out of this Apple ID?

I'm trying to install updates, but it won't install them on my iMac. Mind you, this is my first apple device, yet it's logged into my friend's Apple ID. It won't allow for me to log out of it. How do I do so?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 4, 2016 6:32 PM

15 replies

May 4, 2016 6:36 PM in response to RealBrill

If you are trying to log your friend's ID out of the App Store, what is preventing you from doing so? And do you know how your friend's Apple ID got signed in in the first place? Did you friend download any past purchases?

When you say it "won't install" the updates, what is the error you are getting that is preventing them from installing?

Cheers,

GB

May 9, 2016 1:57 PM in response to RealBrill

App Store products can only be updated by signing in to the store with the same Apple ID that was originally used to download them. You can't update anything, including your own purchases, as long as there are pending updates linked to another ID.

If you can't sign in with the other ID, or if the ID is not yours, you have to delete all the apps that are linked to it. If you don't know which apps those are, please see below.

1. Triple-click anywhere in the line of text below on this page to select it:

kMDItemAppStoreHasReceipt=1

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

2. In the Finder, press command-F to open a search window, or select

File Find

from the menu bar. In the search window, select

Search: This Mac

from the row of tokens below the toolbar. Below that is a popup menu of search criteria, initially showing Kind. From that menu, select

Other...

A sheet will drop down. In that sheet, select

Raw Query

as the criterion, then click OK or press return.

Now there will be a text box to the right of the menu of search criteria. That's where you enter the raw search query. Click in that box and paste the text you copied earlier by pressing command-V.

3. The search window will now show all the App Store products that are installed. Compare those search results with the list of your purchases from the App Store. To see the complete list, you may need to unhide hidden purchases. If any apps were downloaded from the App Store using other Apple ID's that you control, sign in to the store under each of those ID's and check the purchases.

4. At least one of the apps in the Spotlight search results is not among your purchases in the App Store. Delete each such item by following the instructions in the Apple Support article linked above.

5. Quit and relaunch the App Store.

If you find these instructions confusing, ask for an alternative method.

May 7, 2016 10:50 PM in response to RealBrill

Is the ID that is showing your friend's ID? If so, then the apps that are on your device are apps that she owns. You would need to sign her ID out of the App Store. Click Store while in the App Store, then Sign Out. Once you have signed out your friend's ID, sign your own ID in. Once you sign in your own ID, you can then go to the Purchased tab to see what apps are linked to your own ID. Any apps that you want on your Mac that are not in the Purchased info would have to be purchased by you again, using your own ID.

You really need to find out if your friend also signed her ID into the iTunes Store on your Mac, and if she downloaded any past purchases (not new ones, existing ones). If she did, then the Mac is going to be associated with her ID for the next 90 days. This would prevent you from using your ID to download past purchases, join iTunes Match or Apple Music, or use Family Sharing until that 90 day period was up. You can still purchase and download media such as Apps, Books, Music, Movies, etc.

Cheers,

GB

May 9, 2016 1:48 PM in response to gail from maine

I don't think you understand the problem. The computer registers EVERYTHING in my apple ID, except for the updates I need for certain apps in the app store. I cannot simply "sign her out" as easy as it sounds. I wish I could, and I appreciate your help. Again, I own everything on this computer, and it knows my ID. I just cannot change from her ID for iMovie, and a few other updates. Though, It shows my account for any other apps. Also, she hasn't signed in on my computer, at least as far as I know.

May 9, 2016 1:57 PM in response to RealBrill

I understand perfectly. The question I asked is whose Apple ID do you see when you click on the App Store login screen? Is it yours?

And you were the one who said "this is my first Apple device, yet it is logged into my friend's Apple ID". What do you mean by that? Is it actually logged in to your friend's ID? What makes you think it is "logged into your friend's ID"? How did you friend get into the question here? Are you saying that your friend's Apple ID is showing in the sign in window when you are trying to update the app?

If so, several people have told you what you need to do: Delete the app that is giving you that message, and re-download it with your Apple ID signed in to the App Store. Open the App Store, then click on Purchased to find your copy of the app and re-download it.

GB

May 9, 2016 2:03 PM in response to gail from maine

Ah, unfortunately, I never looked at it that way. Never did I think to uninstall it, because I thought it wouldn't work. Thank you! And, yes, it's mine. It's just hers that shows up whenever I try to update the computer. No, the computer is mine, and I've logged into everything, but it only shows hers for updates, that's all. Update: I tried that, and now I have to pay for iMovie to get it again... sigh.

May 9, 2016 2:15 PM in response to RealBrill

The fact that your sister's Apple ID is the one encoded into iMove portends to something much more complicated going on with your Mac. Which are the other apps that require her Apple ID to allow updates? GarageBand? Pages, Numbers or Keynote?

I ask because iMovie isn't just any old app, it isn't part of OS X. It is an app that is usually sold in the Mac App Store, but for a number of years now has come bundled free with the purchase of a new Mac, along with Garageband, Pages, Numbers & Keynote. A new owner must sign into the Mac App Store, go to the Purchased pane and Accept iMove, Garageband, Pages, Numbers and Keynote into their iTunes/Mac App Store/Apple ID account. And it appears that your sister beat you to it, so she owns iMovie on your Mac and any other app's that require her Apple ID. In most cases such as this, users report that they are unable to do as suggested, delete the app and redownload it with your own Apple ID.

Why won't it log out of this Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.