Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will I see a noticeable performance boost from a newer iMac?

I use Photoshop, Lightroom, Final Cut Pro X, and Photo Mechanic 5 (not all at the same time) Here is the specs on my current iMac,

User uploaded file

If I get the new iMac with,

User uploaded file

Will the performance be Ok, Great, Stunning, or OMG?

Thanks for your advice, Andy

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), 2.66 GHz intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB CS4

Posted on May 4, 2016 9:00 PM

7 replies

May 5, 2016 5:47 PM in response to atraff1

If this is a 21 inch screen model, get this model with 16 GB of RAM instead of the base 8 GBs because there is no upgrading anything in a 21 inch screen iMac later.

Also, the BIG reason for getting a 21 inch screen iMac with the full 16 GBs of RAM is the the 21 inch screen iMacs use a chunk of the actual physical installed RAM for the Graphics Processor in these iMac models.

This takes some RAM away for the OS and any resource intensive apps that rely on getting as much RAM as possible.

If a 21 inch screen model, opt for the hybrid Fusion Drive OR an SSD ( Solid State Drive).

Supplement the smaller SSD sizes with purchasing an extra, good quality, faster 7200 RPM external thunderbolt or USB 3.0 hard drive)

Will I see a noticeable performance boost from a newer iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.