Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Warrantee refused due to very minor screen chip ... not related to problem

I have a problem with the screen becoming unresponsive when phone is turned on. It will flicker across the top but often remains unusable. Perhaps one out of 10 attempts will give some screen touch response. I had the phone in for repair, they told me it was a loose connection.

The next day it started doing the same thing. While trying to get it to respond I took the phone out of the Otter Box and it slipped from my hand. I stopping the fall with top of my foot but a tiny chip is visible in the corner of the screen. The repair depot is refusing to cover the repairs under warrantee, as the phone had been dropped!

This is ridiculous as the dropping had nothing to do with the original problem...

Seems they are using the "screen chip" as a way to get out of their 1 year warrantee ... if that is the case, they just lost a customer for life!

Anyone else had similar experience ...

Allan

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.1, null

Posted on May 4, 2016 10:08 PM

3 replies

May 4, 2016 10:12 PM in response to allan_canuck

Any time there is user damage to a device, Apple reserves the right to refuse to repair the device under warranty, since there is no way to prove the issue was not caused by the user damage.

It also seems you are using an Authorized Apple Service provider, since you make the statement "repair depot". If that is the case, they determine, as well as Apple, if the device will be repaired. You can speak to a manager and see if they would reconsider, however generally the decision is final.

May 4, 2016 10:18 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

The point is that I had it in the authorized repair depot only days prior to it being "dropped" ... they are aware of this as they supposedly fixed it. The issue is the same after the "drop" as before. The dropping has nothing to do with the non responsive screen ... They are telling me it is Apple that has the authority to approve the repairs ... their hands are tied! If there is even a tiny chip, as in this case they are using that to deny any repairs to the phone. They now want $400 to fix it.

May 4, 2016 10:26 PM in response to allan_canuck

Well, I cannot change things, but if it was in for repair, they said it was a lose wire, and they fixed it; then it comes back again, and had been dropped prior, it could be the drop knocked the wire lose again, therefore the drop would have caused it.

As I said earlier, under most circumstances, Apple will refuse warranty service on a device that has user damage. If you want to appeal this to Apple, then go right ahead and contact them. You are not addressing Apple here, this is a user to user support forum. You can use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page, or ask the Authorized Apple Service provider for contact info.

Warrantee refused due to very minor screen chip ... not related to problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.