Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I connect a non-apple display to my mac mini

How do I connect a non-apple display to my mac mini ?

Posted on May 4, 2016 10:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2016 11:25 PM

1. See #2.

2. It depends on what type of cable the monitor has and the Mac mini’s ports; there isn’t a difference between an Apple and a non-Apple monitor for this purpose. A Mini DisplayPort adapter can be used to hook an older display up to a Thunderbolt port.

(142062)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2016 11:25 PM in response to SKI_2005

1. See #2.

2. It depends on what type of cable the monitor has and the Mac mini’s ports; there isn’t a difference between an Apple and a non-Apple monitor for this purpose. A Mini DisplayPort adapter can be used to hook an older display up to a Thunderbolt port.

(142062)

May 6, 2016 3:03 AM in response to SKI_2005

Yes.

Standards like VGA, DVI and HDMI will work with every monitor that has a VGA/DVI/HDMI port.

I recently found that newer versions of OS X (El Capitan?) did not show all the graphics modes, and refused to show the monitors native resolution while connected via HDMI. (My monitor has a resolution of 1680x1050. With HDMI only 720p and 1080i/1080p was shown.) The resolution is to use the Option key while clicking on the "Scaled" option, as described here: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22157. Then simply select the native resolution of the monitor and everything is fine.

With Thunderbolt everything could be different.

Can I connect a non-apple display to my mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.