Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

deleting pictures without deleting on other devices

I've exhausted memory on my Macbook Air. How do I delete photos that are stored on this device without deleting on the cloud? I thought deselecting iCloud photo library would remove all photos

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.6.7), iPhoto11

Posted on May 4, 2016 9:09 PM

1 reply

May 5, 2016 5:36 AM in response to davefromcalgary

You have two options: 1) disconnect your Photos application from iCloud and 2) use the optimize option of Photos iCloud.

1. If you open System Preferences, choose the iCloud tab and click on the Photos checkmark to deselect it you’ll disconnect your computer’s Photos application from iCloud but be given the option to keep your pictures on the computer or delete them. If you make this choice you can delete pictures from the computer without deleting them from iCloud. Any new pictures you take will have to be manually moved onto the computer.
  2. In the iCloud tab of System Preferences you may click the Options button and select the optimized photos option. This keeps the original full size photos in the cloud but puts much smaller versions on your computer (which take up less space). The advantage of this option is you may be able to keep all your photos because the space saving is significant. This disadvantage is that if you want to edit any pictures on your computer you need to be connected to the Internet so you can download the original to edit it. (When you finish the edit your computer will once again have only the optiimized version.)

deleting pictures without deleting on other devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.