Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro (Early 2009) / El Capitan: No delay on Eject key.

I just upgraded to OS X 10.11.4, on a Mac Pro (Early 2009).

El Capitan is supposed to have a short delay on the Eject key, before the DVD drive tray opens, to prevent inadvertent opening of the tray.

In my case, however, even the quickest tap on the Eject key opens the tray. I've opened the tray several times already, bumping the Eject key when I was going for the Delete key.

I can't find anything on Google, only that the delay should be there.

Any ideas?

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 5, 2016 12:50 AM

5 replies

May 5, 2016 12:02 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

I found this:

OS X El Capitan: If keys on your keyboard don’t work

From that page:

If the Media Eject key or Caps Lock key doesn’t work

Try holding down the key longer. These keys have a slight delay to prevent an immediate response if they’re pressed accidentally.

Where oh where did my Eject key delay go to?

I could get a key remap utility, remap the Eject key, and put an Eject button on my menu bar, but that seems like a clumsy solution. I'd just like the Eject to function the way it's supposed to.

May 11, 2016 6:35 PM in response to Timeless628

I asked the author of Karabiner, and NoEjectDelay if he had any insight on this issue.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

His response:

I confirmed that the eject key delay is disappeared with the wired Apple keyboard.

I guess it is difficult to restore the delay, but we can disable eject key by Karabiner. It prevents accidental disc eject.

New setting by this private.xml allows you to disable eject key.

(You can eject disc by fn-eject)

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tekezo/Files/master/Karabiner/private.eject_by _fn_eject/private.xml

How to use private.xml:

https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/document.html#privatexml

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

That is the solution I've gone with. The eject key is disabled, but I can use fn-eject when I need to eject the DVD drive.

Mac Pro (Early 2009) / El Capitan: No delay on Eject key.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.