Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Long text in a table disappears in Pages

When I fill a table with a rather long text, the text doesn't continue on the next page, but it kind of disappears. What can I do to continue my table on the next page? Thank you!

Mail-OTHER

Posted on May 5, 2016 2:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2016 3:28 AM

Pages v5.6.1

Select your table. In the right Format panel, select the Arrange tab, and set Object Placement to Move with Text, and Text Wrap to Inline with Text. This is actually the default when you insert a table, and is the only setting that allows the table to flow across page boundaries.

Additionally, click in your body text on the same page as your table. In the right Format Text panel, select the More tab, and deselect the Prevent widow & orphan lines. This will allow your table to fill down to the bottom of the page, rather than prematurely end above it.

By default, text wrap in a cell is enabled. If you don't want that feature, and with the table selected, you can disable wrap text in cell via the Format panel Text tab.

Pages '09 v4.3

Select your table. In the Wrap Inspector, you want Inline with Text selected (default). Depending on whether you want text to wrap or not wrap around your table, you may want to click Background, and then deselect Object Causes Wrap. In the Text Inspector's More tab, disable Prevent widows & orphan lines. The Table Inspector's Format tab also gives you the ability to wrap text in a cell.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2016 3:28 AM in response to so-phie

Pages v5.6.1

Select your table. In the right Format panel, select the Arrange tab, and set Object Placement to Move with Text, and Text Wrap to Inline with Text. This is actually the default when you insert a table, and is the only setting that allows the table to flow across page boundaries.

Additionally, click in your body text on the same page as your table. In the right Format Text panel, select the More tab, and deselect the Prevent widow & orphan lines. This will allow your table to fill down to the bottom of the page, rather than prematurely end above it.

By default, text wrap in a cell is enabled. If you don't want that feature, and with the table selected, you can disable wrap text in cell via the Format panel Text tab.

Pages '09 v4.3

Select your table. In the Wrap Inspector, you want Inline with Text selected (default). Depending on whether you want text to wrap or not wrap around your table, you may want to click Background, and then deselect Object Causes Wrap. In the Text Inspector's More tab, disable Prevent widows & orphan lines. The Table Inspector's Format tab also gives you the ability to wrap text in a cell.

Jun 22, 2016 6:35 AM in response to VikingOSX

I could not find the Prevent widow & orphan lines stuff

My Pages version 5.6.2 only has as follows:

User uploaded file

If I tried to paste a long text in 1 column, the text in the end disappeared

User uploaded file

Long text in a table disappears in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.