Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini does not recognises more than six USB devices

Hi.

I am trying to connect 25x Canon 600D to a Mac Mini but it only sees 6 of them. If I have them all off and I turn them on one by one, no matter which ones, it will not see the 7th one I switch on.

Is there a reason behind that?

Thanks

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 5, 2016 1:44 AM

4 replies

May 5, 2016 2:10 AM in response to .dice.

If your total of USB peripherals excess the available total USB bus power, whatever

ones in excess (or maybe all) can fail to function. And if you are using an external

powered USB hub, be certain it is capable of powering to the latest spec USB3.0;

most should be backward compatible but may default to the slowest item attached.

The keyboard and mouse (if USB) should be attached directly to the computer so

they will have power on startup -- for setup and troubleshooting -- when the BT

wireless may not function. Since you do not specify what components are involved.

Not sure how you have the USB configured. If already using a USB powered hub

you may need to get a better brand of reputable quality.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

May 5, 2016 4:01 AM in response to K Shaffer

all right … do I have 3x 10 ports ORICO USB3.0 hub (a respectable brand) powered by their own power supply. the cameras are also powered by power adaptors therefore I do not think the issue is caused by the power. keyboard and mouse are wireless, with a USB dongle, but I can used wired USB keyboard and mouse, if that is the case. the cameras work on USB 2.0 specs.

this setup works fine on a PC, I was experimenting with a Mac Mini. if I cannot get it to work I can still return it.

May 5, 2016 12:25 PM in response to .dice.

Did you try to see if a reset of the SMC may be able to help the Mini and its use of USB ports?

For some other items, a reset of NVRAM may be helpful; either way, these seldom hurt to try.

• Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

• How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

The power management or 'system management controller 'has much to do with most everything

but some items may be acting up. -- Also some whose drivers may not be all they could be, may

conflict. In a few cases and where they could be deciphered (by an expert?) the Console utility

generates system logs that are extensive. All activities are recorded by time increments.

Troubleshooting the USB tree of items, and being able to swap out peripheral parts, may help

to find any weak or contributory, or conflicting products that may be USB linked.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

• Late 2012 Mac Mini i7 2.3GHz quad, 16GB RAM, dual 1-TB HDD, OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 •

Mac Mini does not recognises more than six USB devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.