Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV issues

I have my wf-fi router, TV, Apple TV and Mac all in the same room, yet I can no longer pick up my computer on the Apple TV. I have all the latest software, completed restarts, restores etc but to no avail.

Also the Airplay icon comes and goes from iTunes. When it is there I can send the video to my Apple TV, but the Apple TV will still not pick up my computer.

Any ideas please.

AppleTV 2, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 5, 2016 2:16 AM

5 replies

May 5, 2016 3:43 AM in response to 9958Evans

Please check the suggestions here Use AirPlay to display video from your Mac on an HDTV - Apple SupportRecent updates may have cause this change.

What version software does your ATV have?

What type is your Mac, and what OS version doe it have?

Could you clarify what you mean by ATV "will not pick up" the computer? Do you mean that you see ATV in the computer AirPlay menu, and select it, but ATV rejects the connection?

May 5, 2016 4:49 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Hi Diana, ATV version is 6.2.1, i have a early 2009 Mac upgraded with 8gb Ram and running El Capitan 10.11.4.

In the ATV home screen the 'computers' icon that usually shows my Mac library says, Home Sharing computers will show when found. I have home sharing turn on on my Mac and ATV. I have turned off this, logged back on etc but still nothing.

May 5, 2016 5:17 AM in response to 9958Evans

You are describing Homesharing. It allows you to view and listen to content from your computer via iTunes on your ATV.

Work through this guide to double check you have your setup correct : Use Home Sharing to share iTunes content with other devices - Apple Support

Then use this guide to isolate any problem: Get help with Home Sharing - Apple Support

FYI: Your mac is too old to support what is currently known as video airplay but it does support audio airplay. Watching videos from your mac via Homeshare is a different feature and most definitely is supported by your machine.

It sounds like a network issue related to wifi or the router, but working through the setup and help guides carefully should isolate the issue.

Apple TV issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.