Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does the new OS upgrade require a six digit passcode?

My mother is 90 years old. She has an iPad which she uses mostly to play solitare, though she does also use it for email and occasionally to find information on the web. She has never set up a passcode on the device. For the last week or two she has been continually badgered by Apple to update her OS. Last night she finally did, arranging for it to be done automatically while she slept. This morning her iPad, now with the newly installed updated OS, asked for her passcode, the one she never set up. Now she can't use her iPad. I contacted Apple and was told she could reset her iPad by using her iCloud backup, a backup that doesn't exist. Her only alternative is to erase her iPad, wipe it clean and start over. Way to go Apple!

Posted on May 5, 2016 4:37 AM

4 replies

May 5, 2016 7:29 AM in response to LACAllen

No passcode was ever set up for this machine. It did not happen because my mother didn't want to have to remember it. She wanted a machine that she could simply turn on and use. And it worked fine until this last upgrade. At the very least this situation is going to involve hours of time getting emails back and reinstalling apps. There is no way that Apples update system should force anyone to go through this let alone a 90-year-old woman.

Why does the new OS upgrade require a six digit passcode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.