Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should my AirPort Extreme be in DHCP & NAT or Bridge when connecting to my internet modem?

My network went down and I've had to set up everything again. I'm pretty sure I've set it up as before however I'm getting a "Double NAT". My network is set up as follows:

Internet comes into modem. Modem connects to AirPort Extreme 1 via ethernet cable. AP1 then feeds AP2 and Time Capsule via ethernet. AP1 is set to DHCP & NAT. AP2 and TC are set to bridge.

The only thing that could be creating a Double NAT problem surely is between the modem and the AP1? Should AP1 be set to bridge mode or should it be set up some other way?

Posted on May 5, 2016 3:39 AM

2 replies

May 5, 2016 6:22 AM in response to cmac55

The only thing that could be creating a Double NAT problem surely is between the modem and the AP1?

Correct. Your "modem" is really a modem/router, which is also called a gateway.

Double NAT means that you have two devices on the same network both trying to act like routers for the same network. Not recommended.

Configure AP1 in Bridge Mode, as well as AP2 and the Time Capsule.

Should my AirPort Extreme be in DHCP & NAT or Bridge when connecting to my internet modem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.