Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP7 won't migrate to new Macbook Pro

I am running FCP7 on a Macbook Pro on OS 10.10.5 Yosemite. Recently my Macbook GPU died, so I swapped my hard drive into a new machine. All of my programs and preferences and settings seem to have migrated fine EXCEPT FCP. When i try to open it, I get a prompt for serial #. I put in the serial # and get "Error 777." I don't have the original discs so can't do a re-install, just wrote down the serial.

I am just trying to get the program open so I can convert the project files to XML and open them in Premiere.

Any tips?

Final Cut Pro 7, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on May 5, 2016 4:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2016 2:25 PM

Wait...did you install the drive into a new computer and try to boot from that drive? Or did you mount it and try to migrate all the apps off of it?

FCP 7 doesn't migrate. There are files it installs all over the System and Library, those aren't brought over when you Migrate, so many critical parts of FCP aren't brought over. The only solution is the one you can't do...install from the installer DVD.

Sorry man.

I migrated to a new Laptop, now FCP Studio 3 won't take my serial - Unknown error 777

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2016 2:25 PM in response to Pierre Degaillande1

Wait...did you install the drive into a new computer and try to boot from that drive? Or did you mount it and try to migrate all the apps off of it?

FCP 7 doesn't migrate. There are files it installs all over the System and Library, those aren't brought over when you Migrate, so many critical parts of FCP aren't brought over. The only solution is the one you can't do...install from the installer DVD.

Sorry man.

I migrated to a new Laptop, now FCP Studio 3 won't take my serial - Unknown error 777

May 6, 2016 5:46 AM in response to Shane Ross

Yes I installed the drive on a new computer and it wouldn't migrate. I finally had to reinstall the entire application (the people at the Mac shop took pity on me and helped me do it).

I realize Apple doesn't want me to use this software anymore but FCP X is not an option, way too steep of a learning curve. So it's either FCP7 or I switch to Premiere. Thanks for your help!

FCP7 won't migrate to new Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.