Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone doesn't see iMac via AirDrop

The setup is:

iMac Late 2012, OSX 10.11.4

iPhone 5S, iOS 9.3.1

iPad 4, iOS 9.3.1

Basically, the problem is iPhone has stopped seeing iMac as AirDrop destination. When I try to share a photo from iPhone, I can’t see iMac in AirDrop devices list. iPad is available here though. At the same time, from iMac I can see both iPhone and iPad, and from iPad I can see both iPhone and iMac. Any ideas how to make iMac visible from iPhone again? What I’ve already tried on all devices is restarting them and turning bluetooth off/on.

Thanks!

Posted on May 5, 2016 5:08 AM

16 replies

May 5, 2016 5:24 AM in response to shesmu

If the iMac can see the iPhone have you tried airdropping anything from it to the iPhone. If it for some reason fails then it sounds like an issue with the iPhone because logic tells us that if the iMac and the iPad can see everything but the iPhone can't then its the iPhone. If it's an option for you you may want to restore the iPhone. You can back it up to your iMac to get all the information back once you finish restoring it.

May 5, 2016 6:26 AM in response to shesmu

Well I've told you everything I would try... I'm sorry but I don't know how to help you any further. You could pack up the iMac and it along with the iPhone to an Apple store (make sure you have an appointment) if this problem is this concerning, or you could do some research on the internet. imore.com is a great resource. I'm sure you can find the answers your looking for on the internet. Sorry I couldn't help you, I hope you can fix your problem soon.

May 5, 2016 7:54 AM in response to shesmu

This is not normal. My devices see each other without issues. Make sure Airdrop is under Allow in Restrictions. Setting > General > Restrictions > Allow.

Then try a Forced Restart (different than a normal on and off). Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. You will not lose anything.

If that does not work try a system restore:

First backup your device using iTunes. Then import your photos to your computer and copy all important data. Try restoring from backup first and testing it. If it does not help, you may have to restore as New and reconfigure from scratch as the backup could be corrupted. For this reason it is important to have your photos and data saved separately from the backup.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

iPhone doesn't see iMac via AirDrop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.