Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I would like to upgrade my MacBook Pro mid-2012 with a SSD

I have the MacBook Pro mid-2012 13inch non-retina, It is only 1 year old. And I would love to replace the HDD with the Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD I was wondering if this would fit into my Mac. Also, how exactly to install it. I was thinking of getting the StarTech USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable w/ UASP - SATA to USB 3.0 Converter for SSD/HDD - Hard Drive Adapter Cable so I could get the device running before putting it into my Mac. I was also wondering would I need anything else like a mounting kit or not. Can someone please help I'm totally lost.

Thanks, Conor

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 5, 2016 5:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2016 2:29 PM

Here is a video which details the process of installing an SSD in your Mac. There have been some reports of difficulties with Samsung SSD in Macs so you might also look at the offerings from OWC (which provides the installation videos). Note that the SSD's are the same form-factor and the 2.5" HD's. Also note that one of these could allow you to test the SSD first and clone your internal drive to it.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2016 2:29 PM in response to Conor T

Here is a video which details the process of installing an SSD in your Mac. There have been some reports of difficulties with Samsung SSD in Macs so you might also look at the offerings from OWC (which provides the installation videos). Note that the SSD's are the same form-factor and the 2.5" HD's. Also note that one of these could allow you to test the SSD first and clone your internal drive to it.

I would like to upgrade my MacBook Pro mid-2012 with a SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.