Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX 10.11.4 I need to do a clean install but Command R won't work. Using USB keyboard so no wifi issues to worry about. Help?

OSX 10.11.4 I need to do a clean install but Command R won't work. Using USB keyboard so no wifi issues to worry about. Help?

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), El Capitan Version 10.11.4

Posted on May 5, 2016 7:13 AM

4 replies

May 5, 2016 8:01 AM in response to Cheryl Severn

Would you care to share why you need to do a clean install?

You can try internet recovery (that will work if your older model was updated to allow it): hold Command + Option + R until you see a progress bar (will take a while); it will connect you to Apple's servers. When you see the utilities window, choose disk utility to erase your drive and, when finished, choose to reinstall OS X.

Computers that can be upgraded to use OS X Internet Recovery - Apple Support

PS: Correction: I don't believe yours can be updated; in that case, you will need the original install disks to wipe the drive and reinstall.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.