Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Streaming Audio from TV or Hifi to Halo 2

Hello all! I currently do not own either an iPhone, or a pair of Halo 2 hearing aids 😊 but I'm considering the possibility of buying both!

My question is: is there a way to stream audio from a TV or Hifi using this setup? Obviously you could park your phone in front of a speaker and stream whatever the phone's microphone picks up, but that's going to give you mono sound, and probably not very good quality. Is there a way (presumably via an accessory) to feed good-quality *stereo* sound into an iPhone (via SPDIF, perhaps, or a line-level analogue signal) and then monitor that signal in real time over the hearing aids?

Posted on May 5, 2016 7:52 AM

13 replies

May 23, 2016 5:25 AM in response to Shasarak

No answers, I see. 😟

I've spent some time investigating this, now, and the short answer seems to be that you can't do this (although there is a rather clunky work-around). One can get frustratingly close, but sadly a weird feature/bug of iOS causes you to fall at the final hurdle.

Here's the approach I tried:

- Get hold of some sort of USB audio device that has sufficiently low power requirements that it can be powered by the iPhone's Lightning port. (I chose a Behringer UCA202, which has stereo RCA analogue inputs (and can also act as a DAC, although that needn't concern us here).

- Get a "Lightning to USB Camera Adapter" cable.

- Download some sort of sound recording app for the iPhone, for example Voice Record Pro.

Now, let's say I disable hearing-aid streaming, connect the Behringer to the Lightning port via the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter cable, run the recording app, hit REC, then go into the sound-level check (which allows you to input sound and monitor it without actually creating a recording); then I connect a pair of wired headphones into the iPhone's headphone socket. Then (with a little juggling of settings in the app) it *is* possible to monitor the incoming sound over the headphones: you've got stereo sound going into the Behringer, the phone pulls it through the Lightning port and gives it to the app, the app sends the stereo signal out over the headphones, and it's all working.

So, problem solved, right?

Wrong. 😠

If you now activate hearing-aid streaming, for some utterly insane reason, this changes the way that the iPhone receives sound from the Behringer device! What you now see in the recording app is no longer the result of capturing both of the incoming stereo channels; instead, it captures just one of the two channels, and feeds that to both ears! So, although it is still pulling sound in through the Lightning port, and is sending it to the hearing aids, you can only pull in one of the two stereo channels Switch off hearing-aid streaming, restart everything, start recording, and plug in wired headphones, and it's capturing in stereo again.

I tried this with more than one recording app, and they all did the same thing, so clearly it's the phone itself that's going haywire, not the app.

Intensely frustrating.

Notes:

- Use of a "Lightning to USB Camera Adapter 3" cable allows the iPhone to be charged while the device is connected to the Lightning port, and may possibly also allow the use of devices that require more power than the Lightning port can provide. Device power requirements can also be dealt with by using a mains-powered USB hub; but the phone can't charge from that while something is connected to the Lightning port.

- If for some reason you do want to capture only mono sound, there is an easier way to do this: you can get a cable with built-in attenuation that connects to the iPhone headphone jack (and mimics an external microphone).

- I haven't tried this, but if you want to try a stereo sound-capture device that has a digital (rather than analogue) input, the Hifime UX1 might well work.

May 23, 2016 5:34 AM in response to Shasarak

I mentioned there was a clunky work-around....

There's an app called RemoteSound (full version is 79p, trial version is free). What this does is allow an iPhone to act as a wireless sound-card for a Windows PC. You download a separate Windows application and run it on the PC, then launch the app on the phone, and the two connect to one another over the Wi-Fi. (The PC needs to be connected to the same local network as the phone). Any sound sent to the PC's default sound driver is also sent over the network to the phone, and you hear it there.

This *does* work in stereo with hearing-aid-streaming enabled; the sound quality is comparable to what you get streaming directly from the phone; and, while there is some latency, it's not as bad as you might expect. However, this only works well if there isn't too much other traffic on the network; if there is, the sound can break up. (There's an option to compress and/or buffer the sound, which makes it less prone to break-up, but also increases latency).

In theory you could feed sound from the TV into the PC, and from there send it to the phone via RemoteSound; but that isn't exactly portable!

May 23, 2016 5:53 AM in response to Shasarak

A final possibility for some users might be the Tunity app. This is a clever idea: you point your phone's camera at a TV screen, and it identifies the channel you're watching, and then streams the TV channel sound over the Internet to your phone.

But this only works for some channels; it only works for live broadcasts, not recordings, DVDs, etc.; and it only works in the United States.

May 23, 2016 5:58 AM in response to Shasarak

I suspect the reason you received no replies to your initial query is because any of the possible solutions involve devices other than the iPhone and Halo hearing aids. I have both.

For me, watching television is difficult without captions, even with my hearing aids. I have been looking into a speaker device that installs in the light bulb socket of a lamp or a streamer device. I don't have any firm recommendations yet as I am just starting my research.

May 24, 2016 9:29 AM in response to karenfromprovidence

I'd be happy for you to email me, Karen, but I don't really want to publish an email address on here for the harvester-bots to pick up!

Er...

Well, take this "address" and move each letter backward 1 in the alphabet, so b becomes a, c becomes b, etc. Leave punctuation as it is.

If you get it right, it should sound like an upset fish. 🙂

I should emphasise, though, I don't think I have anything useful to say about streaming to Halos that I haven't already posted in this thread.

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

May 23, 2016 8:04 AM in response to OldGnome

There is no dedicated streamer device for the Halo or Halo 2 other than an iPhone. For other hearing aids (e.g. the Z-series or Muse range) Starkey make streaming devices like the SurfLink Media and SurfLink Mobile; but they work on a different radio frequency - 900 MHz rather than 2.4GHz - so they aren't compatible with made-for-iphone hearing aids. I'm told they plan to make 2.4GHz versions of those devices, but they won't be released for 18 months or so.

If your Halos have a T-coil, there are various devices that can drive that.

May 23, 2016 8:52 AM in response to Shasarak

I spoke to an industry professional at a hearing health fair a couple of weeks ago who knows my audiologist. She held out hope that there are streamers available that will work with my Starkey Halos. Like any other Bluetooth device, they will likely work on the standard Bluetooth frequencies, rather than the low-power frequencies used by the iPhone to connect to the Halos.

My Halos do not have a T-coil. Given the functionality demonstrated by the hearing aids when I tested them, it was a feature I was (and still am) willing to forego.

May 23, 2016 9:21 AM in response to Shasarak

She did not have any specific suggestions. My guess is that the "Made For iPhone" technology is still new enough (a couple of years?) that there aren't a lot of third-party devices yet. However, she was sure that my audiologist might have better information. My audiologist and I have been learning together over the past two years.

Streaming Audio from TV or Hifi to Halo 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.