Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to replace internal hard drive and continue with existing Time Machine Backups

I have a 3TB Airport Time Machine hooked up to the Ethernet port on my Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 7,1. It has a 1TB internal SSD that I wish to use Carbon Copy Cloner to a 2TB drive from OWC. Last time I did this, I had to start my Time Machine Backups all over again.

Is there a way to 1- find the UUID of the new SSD, and 2- update some sort of Time Machine information (perhaps with TMUTIL) that 3- will allow continuity with the existing backups?

Thank you

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), 16 GB RAM, 960GB SSD, Airport Time

Posted on May 5, 2016 8:20 AM

1 reply

May 5, 2016 11:24 AM in response to pws442

Is there a way to 1- find the UUID of the new SSD, and 2- update some sort of Time Machine information (perhaps with TMUTIL) that 3- will allow continuity with the existing backups?

Possibly, but you are asking about modifications to the Mac operating system here.....probably using Terminal commands, since Time Machine is part of the OS. Best to post that question in the support forum for the OS that you are using......where the OS gurus hang out.

The link to the Yosemite forum is here.........OS X Yosemite

If you have moved up to El Capitan, the link is.......OS X El Capitan

how to replace internal hard drive and continue with existing Time Machine Backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.