Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i5 vs i7 processor

I am looking at getting a macbook pro, but am technologically inept. I don't game or anything. I pretty much just use the internet and microsoft office. What is the difference between an i5 and i7 processor?

Posted on May 5, 2016 9:08 AM

6 replies

May 5, 2016 12:18 PM in response to psychstudent8

If you do not game or do video editing - then an i5 core would be plenty for you

Get the higher size hard disk drive if you can and also more RAM 8 is certainly better than 4

I have 16 GB of RAM with an i5 core and while my usage is a little heavier than what you indicate - I have yet to do something where the MBP lags

It is an exceptionally fine machine

May 5, 2016 12:44 PM in response to psychstudent8

psychstudent8 wrote:

What is the difference between an i5 and i7 processor?

It is just a matter of processing speed. I have a 2014 MacBook Pro i5 (4th Generation Broadwell processor). I also have a 2015 Dell i7 (6th Gen. Skylake processor). The Dell is definitively faster but unless speed is critical to you an i5 may be sufficient. The current MacBook Pros are still using the 4th gen Broadwell processors.

A general recommendation is to buy the fastest processor, the largest drive, and the most RAM, particularly on a MacBook as they cannot be upgraded. As the laptop ages, it will remain more useful to you. As apps are developed they tend to become more CPU and RAM intensive so you would be future proofing your purchase. My old Dell i5 (older gen i5, 2011) has slowed through the years, not because it runs "slower" but because the apps tax it more now.

May 5, 2016 1:08 PM in response to elcpu

elcpu wrote:

A general recommendation is to buy the fastest processor, the largest drive, and the most RAM, particularly on a MacBook as they cannot be upgraded.

There is third party storage available for all retina MBPs and it is very easy to install, However by doing so, will void any warranty that may be in effect.

Ciao.

i5 vs i7 processor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.